Thursday, July 16, 2015

Signing with the Indies

Signing with the Indies
By Laura Bradford

After twenty-one (published) novels, I've certainly had a signing or two. I've signed at conferences, chains, libraries, luncheons, and independent book stores. And while all signings are fun because you get to meet readers (new and avid, alike), I have to say those at independent book stores tend to be my favorite.

My reasons for this are fairly simple.  

1) Folks running independents are passionate (and knowledgeable) about both books and their particular customers.

2) Their customers care about the store--wanting to see them succeed.

3) When they "throw" a signing, it tends to be a real event (which makes it fun for the writer and the reader).

Since I'm in the process of back-to-back events right now (one last night, one tonight), I thought I'd share some of my favorite moments from signings over the years so you can see what I'm talking about when it comes to signings at independents.

The first picture (upper left) was taken a few years ago at Aaron's Books in Lititz, PA. They had a counter they wanted me to sign (I'd never signed a counter before). :) 

The second picture is at the once Mysteries and More Bookstore outside of Nashville. The owners, Greg and Mary, have since retired, but I always seemed to be there on anniversary weekend... 


The third picture is from Aaron's this past March (when SUSPENDERED SENTENCE launched). I got to meet Lisa Kelley (book reviewer, reader, and not sweet friend) for the first time (she drove a few hours to come meet me).










This sign, here on the right, was the first thing I saw when I walked up to Aaron's last night. The event was in celebration of the store's 10th anniversary and was a pinch-me moment (for me) for sure...

I'm off to another event tonight. This one at Harleysville Books in Harleysville, PA. It's a "happy hour with Laura Bradford" event at the store and it should be a lot of fun.

~Laura

1 comment:

  1. We have no bookstores, independent or otherwise, anywhere near. I usually do talks and signings at libraries, writers groups and anywhere else they'll host me.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.