Tuesday, May 10, 2011

One of My Favorite Things

No, one of my favorite things is not singing. Nor would it be anyone else's favorite to hear me sing. At church sometimes when I'm singing away, the people in front of me turn around to stare with a shocked look on their face. I have to remind myself that the Bible says, "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord."

But I digress. Last week I was fortunate to make yet another visit to a college class. This time it was a creative writing class at West Hills College in Lemoore. Lemoore is an agricultural town in the Central Valley of California, but also the home of the Lemoore Naval Air Station.

The campus is quite new and lovely. But like all college campuses to get anywhere, you must do a lot of walking. I think that's on purpose so that the students will remain trim.

I was asked to speak on promotion. As usual, I took handouts for the students and I gave each one a free book from my Deputy Tempe Crabtree series.

What I loved about this class was that everyone really wanted to be there and hear what I had to say--including the teacher. What a joy to see such eager students and they had some great questions.

After the class, the teacher took me, my daughter-in-law who kindly had come along to drive and sell books, and two of the students (the only two who didn't have another class to go right away) to lunch. They chose a Mexican restaurant with fantastic food. I had nachos that had so much on them I could only eat half.

It was great day! Speaking to anyone about writing is great fun--but it's even more fun for me when it's people who are new to the writing craft.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.