Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Clicking Our Heels: If We Can't Be With Harry and Meghan this month, Our Royal Choice Would Be......


If We Can’t Be With Harry and Meghan this month, Our Royal Choice Would Be……




Clicking Our Heels:  Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are getting married this month. The royals have always fascinated Americans. The Stiletto Gang thought you’d be curious which royal, dead or alive, each member of the Gang most wants to meet and why (and whether any of us are planning to go to the wedding).
Bethany Maines: Prince Charming. That guy has a lot to answer for. What’s up with kissing sleeping girls? Is he secretly into necrophilia? Not OK dude. Not. OK.

Kay Kendall: Queen Elizabeth I had a tumultuous life and a very successful, long reign.  In order to keep her autonomy as queen – and not to take a second place to a husband – she remained the “virgin” queen all her life. She had to be devious and led on many men as suitors. She would be fascinating to meet.

T.K. Thorne:  King Arthur. I love the tales of the knights of the round table and have a trilogy in the works based on the ancestors of Arthur. Don’t follow the current royal soap operas, although my hubby and I accidentally found ourselves a curbside bystander at the queen’s birthday parade and that was fun.

Judy Penz Sheluk: Is it un-Canadian of me to say that I just don’t get the fascination with the royal family?  If I have to pick someone, it would be King Edward VIII, who abdicated the throne in 1936 to marry divorcee Wallis Simpson. They remained married until his death 35 years later. Now that’s true love.

Shari Randall: I love the British royals, but I’d love to see the court of Louis XIV. I’m a big fan of ballet, and that dance form had its beginnings at the French court.

Debra H. Goldstein: Queen Elizabeth II and Queen Victoria at the same time because both had extended reigns during periods when women weren’t expected to rule or make decisions. Their accomplishments occurred while balancing family obligations.

A.B. Plum: No hate mail please, but I’m not an American fascinated by the royals. I think Henry James and Mark Twain ruined any lurking anglophile genes I had.

Dru Ann Love: Princess Diana – because she tried so hard and had to deal with the adversity of the Royals.
Linda Rodriguez: Elizabeth the First would be my choice of the British royals, though if I could go back before there really was a British state, I’d want to meet Boudicca (also known previously as Boadicea). Both were strong women who led their people in wars against overwhelming odds and won (though Boudicca ultimately lost in the end). Both had incredibly complicated backgrounds and were highly intelligent.

Sparkle Abbey:  
Mary Lee Woods: I would have loved to meet the Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother. Her full name was Elizabeth Angela Marguerite Bowes-Lyon. She was the wife of King George VI and the mother of Queen Elizabeth II and Princess Margaret, Countess of Snowdon, and she died in 2002 at the age of 101. It just seems to me that her life spanned some really interesting times in world history and I’m sure she endured great challenges as a result. Still, she was a very active Queen Mother until just a few months before her death. I think she woud have the best stories. Whether she’d share them or not, might be a different story.

Anita Carter: Okay, I’m in the minority here.  I don’t have an obsession for the royals. But I twist my arm and I’d picked Princess Grace Kelly. I loved her movies, so I’d want to talk about all the behind the scenes scuttlebutt on some of my favorite movies:  High Society, Rear Window, Dial M for Murder, and To Catch a Thief.

Juliana Aragon Fatula:  I love Shakespeare and have read about so many fictional characters based on royalty. The Virgin Queen Elizabeth mesmerized me because she never married or had children but loved to fool around.

Jennae Phillippe: Princess Diana. I just feel like we’d have a lot to talk about.

As for the other question, we must have misplaced our invitations.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know the royal wedding was scheduled for this month. I am so out of touch. I would choose Elizabeth II. She went through the Blitz, learned auto mechanics, and keeps on keeping on. I respect that.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.