Friday, October 23, 2015

Water and Writing by Debra H. Goldstein

Water and Writing by Debra H. Goldstein

Why do I write better when I can sit and stare at a beach or lake? What is it about the twinkle of the sun reflecting off water that immediately slows my breathing and empties my mind of worrisome demanding thoughts? Why does a storm’s swirling whitecaps or a boat’s wake sometimes disturb me while at other times energize me?

I don’t know.

I’m writing this from a patio staring at the bay during the last moments of a trip to San Diego. My handwriting is all over the page because other than occasionally glancing down to see where my pen is striking, my eyes are glued to the view. I note a few umbrellas stuck in the sand, tied paddleboats and kayaks bobbing from a pier waiting to be rented, and an occasional cyclist or walker dotting the beach, but mostly I look to where the water and horizon blend.

There are ripples reflecting constant motion, but unlike the ocean side, there are no waves. Light
shimmers across the surface except in dark pockets near the shoreline. Rocks below the surface? Packed sand?

The water is like my writing style. Parts are dazzling, bright, sparkling and wonderful while others
deep and dark. When I look at these competing parts of the water, I marvel at its completeness. And, like the water, I realize the highs and lows of writing are what make me whole.

Not all of writing is perfect. Far from it. The techniques and word choices are often lacking, but the combination of them creates something new every moment.

Being near water energizes and nourishes me - as does my writing. I can’t live without either. Can you?

8 comments:

  1. Wonderful post, thank you, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is nothing like writing by moving water. The sounds, the smells, the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so seldom by moving water that if I ever tried (and I have not, yet) to write beside it, then I would need a day or two to soak it all up. After that, then perhaps I could begin to write. In other words, I think I might be soothed into wordlessness. I am glad it works for you though, Debra, and you described it all beautifully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kay. I bet once you got beyond being soothed, your inner soul would take over, too.

      Delete
  4. For years we lived near the beach (Pacific Ocean), when hubby decided to move I told it it had to be somewhere near water--so we live next to the Tule River, which unfortunately because of the drought doesn't have much water in it now. We return to the Central Coast often and i get my ocean fix. Totally understand your feelings, Debra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marilyn, people either seem to be the mountains or the water. I don't care how small the stream is, but for me water is the answer to everything. Glad you find ways to fulfill your need for ocean fixes, too.

      Delete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.