Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Thanksgiving Past and Present

It's that time of year again--Thanksgiving is right over the horizon.

I always have plenty to be thankful for and I think I'll start with the actual Thanksgiving holiday. I have so many wonderful memories of Thanksgivings past--ones growing up at my grandmother's house in South Pasadena--back when our family was still small. (Mom and Dad had no idea how their two daughters would expand the family.)

After I married, and hubby and I had our own home in Oxnard (also California), we hosted Thanksgiving several times--we had to put tables up in the living room. Later when we moved to Springville (still California), I was the one who always hosted Thanksgiving. Bigger house, more room, and relatives came from southern California bringing their signature dishes.

Now many of those relatives have passed away--my grandparents and parents, auntie--but our family has increased in size. My sister hosts her own large family in Las Vegas, NV. My daughters who live in southern California will be having Thanksgiving with their own offspring. We're going to have a large bunch here.

I'm fortunate to have two children who live nearby as well as some of their children and grandchildren. I'm thankful that I can still and enjoy cooking--and I have a new stove this year. My old stove I had for 32 years finally gave up the ghost. Everyone is bringing something, so we'll have plenty to eat.

In the last few years, we've had a new tradition come about. While some are watching football, a group of us have enjoyed playing board and card games.

And I suppose to sum all of this up, I'm truly blessed by having a big family.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I hope you'll share some of your Thanksgiving memories or your plans for this year. I'd love to read about them.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.