Friday, December 7, 2012

By the Season

By Laura Bradford

I don't know about you, but depending on what time of year it is, there are certain types of treats I crave. Crave, as in, I can't think of anything else, sometimes.

And then, when the season is over--POOF!--the craving is gone.
In the summer, it's corn on the cob--the white kind to be exact. Something about seeing that on my plate...with a big pat of butter on the top...

Mmmm...

Summer also means a grill. And anything cooked on the grill is A-OK in my book.

Then comes Autumn, and all thoughts of corn on the cob and grilled food disappears in favor of candy corn and dinners cooked in the crock pot. Oh, and homemade bread.

Double Mmmm...

Which brings us to now. The winter season overall, the Christmas season for me.

Now, it's peppermint hot chocolate (the gals at my Barnes & Noble make it really, really good) and homemade chocolate fudge.

In fact, even as I'm typing this, I've got a mug of peppermint hot chocolate (at home I make it by crushing up candy canes and sprinkling it inside) and the first piece of fudge from the batch I made last night.

Life is good.

How about you? What are some of your favorite seasonal treats?

9 comments:

  1. I love Starbucks egg nog latte, which they only have at this time of year. Super fattening but delicious. I got one on Monday when I was in New York because I didn't cry when I had blood taken. :-) Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then it was a well-earned egg nog latte, Maggie...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Egg nog -- YES! and you did deserve that latte! and pumpkin (though right now I'm using winter squash from the CSA, which is a pumpkin relative)
    . . . and I just bought dark chocolate with peppermint . . . holiday eating.
    Chicken soup with many veggies -- healthy comfort . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. This time of year is pumpkin everything and caldo de pollo (Mexican chicken soup with lots of veggies) and dark chocolate with peppermint and also with orange. But winter is especially the time for pozole, a spicy Mexican stew with pork, peppers, onions, and hominy served with chopped fresh onions, lime quarters, and warm corn tortillas.

    And Maggie, you did deserve that latte! I had a simple procedure done under general anesthesia Wednesday, and once I left recovery and could eat again I had chicken soup, pumpkin pie, and dark chocolate, all three as a reward.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For New Year's Day I always make a special seafood soup by boiling the turkey carcass, and add canned tomatoes, onions, sliced okra, and at the end shrimp and crab legs, different spices. Served over rice. Have great-grands who love this and come over and then we play our favorite family game of Estimation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. storytellerMary, dark chocolate with peppermint...now that sounds nice!

    Linda, the stew sounds heavenly!!!

    Marilyn, special food combined with family time is the best way to serve/enjoy, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Peppermint Ice cream....wonderful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not tried that, Annette. I must rectify that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Egg Nog! It's the only time I drink it.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.