Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Plotting Party

 by Bethany Maines


Last weekend, I reached peak pandemic and hosted a gathering in my carport. It was a writer's gathering, aka a Plotting Party, so there was a lot of sitting and staring at our notebooks. And also snacking and freezing. But, as with other joint writing gatherings I've hosted, we did use each other to work through problems in our outlines. No one asks more "but why?" questions than a writer except a four-year-old trying to stall bedtime. But why do you want a ball in your story?  But why is she in Ireland?  But why did the killer drain all the blood? Each story has it's own answer and it's fun to hear the reasoning that went into each one. 

Of course, being the writer in the hot seat isn't quite as much fun, but it does serve an important purpose. Searching out the answers to those questions forces me to examine the clues in the story I'm writing as well as my intention for writing the character or story that particular way. When another writer points out that my characters motivations seem implausible I'm forced to confront why I want that scene or why I want the character to behave that way.  Being faced with well-intentioned friends who simply want to understand my story is the equivalent of Law & Order level third-degree. Pretty soon I'm caving and confessing that I just like something and I've been ignoring my characters motivations all along. 

But the added benefit of a plotting party is that I have additional minds to help me brainstorm. And with brainstorming comes encouragement and a cheering section that is irreplaceable. The pandemic has put a lot of things on hold, but creativity and friendship clearly haven’t been one of them. I see more outdoor plotting parties in the future, particularly as the weather gets warmer and I wish all of you a carport full of friends of your very own.

**

Bethany Maines is the award-winning author of the Carrie Mae Mysteries, San Juan Islands Mysteries, Shark Santoyo Crime Series, and numerous short stories. When she's not traveling to exotic lands, or kicking some serious butt with her black belt in karate, she can be found chasing her daughter or glued to the computer working on her next novel. You can also catch up with her on Twitter, FacebookInstagram, and BookBub.


8 comments:

  1. Love, love, love brainstorming, and your plotting party sounds ideal! Sorry to do it in the cold. I ordinarily pick up the phone and walk with my critique partner. Talking out a plot cements those thoughts in your head so you can get it down on paper. Great job, Bethany!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I swear my plots move more in 4 hours of plotting party than they do in a month of ruminating. We zoom as well, but the in person time can't be beat!

      Delete
  2. What a great idea! This is one idea I plan to implement.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very effective, but for me being cold would be a turn-off to thinking :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea, Bethany. Wish I'd been there, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a fun idea!! I'm going to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I so miss Plotting Parties with my critique group. We've not tried a car port but I'm willing to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bethany, It's such a great idea! I sometimes discuss plot points with my husband, but a WHOLE party of people, sounds fun - I'm going to try it! My critique group does get a little bit into plotting ideas, but we've been zooming for more than a year now. Just to get together will make it a party for me!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.