Friday, August 16, 2013

Stuck in "Intentions" Mode

by Laura Bradford

Looking back, I came into summer with the best intentions (writing wise). I was going to spend a few weeks working on a novella to go along with my first series (now on e-book) and then I was going to shift my focus to the thriller I've been wanting to polish for a long, long time. If all went well, I was going to move onto the women's fiction I've been dying to write.

And then June came with it's end of the school year craziness which, this time around, included prom and high school graduation for one, and the 8th grade dance, finals, and a middle school graduation for the other.

Oh, and there was the graduation party prep (a.k.a. massive house cleaning), actual party, and a trip to the high school graduate's new college to pick classes.

June soon gave way to July. July, of course, brought family vacation and a host of other schedule-altering events.

August lapped at its heels with out-of-town guests, a book launch, and way too many hours spent shopping for college.

Which brings me to today and the fact that I just typed (quite literally, I might add) "The End" on that novella I mentioned.

What's that, you ask? 

What about the thriller?  Nope. Didn't get to that.

And the women's fiction?  Nope. Not that, either.

So, once again, the pet projects get shoved back in the proverbial drawer in the hope that one of these summers, I'll actually make the leap from intention to reality.

~Laura

4 comments:

  1. Oh, Laura, I do hear you. I had plans for this summer on projects of the heart, also, but an unexpectedly early deadline, a son's move, a family reunion, a daughter's illness, and travel to a slew of events to promote my May book just slaughtered those.

    Here's to fall and winter for both of us to make progress on those great intentions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't concur more, Linda! Here's to us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I purposely took the summer off from writing. And there for awhile, I thought I might never write again. But there's something about this time of year, wrapping up vacations, a new school year starting, etc., that energizes me and I think I just might get back to writing this fall. I think the time off was well spent. And, congrats, btw, on typing "The End."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Kathy. I think I need to do that at some point...just decide to take it off. That way there is no guilt, you know?

    Glad you're getting reenergized to write!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.