Monday, October 22, 2012

TRICK OR TREAT - A HAUNTING IN LOTTAWATAH


A HAUNTING IN LOTTAWATAH
by Evelyn David

Excerpt-

It might surprise you to learn that most older houses and public buildings are haunted by a ghost or two. Or at least that's been my experience. Some are just hanging around, doing the same thing repeatedly like a faded video programmed to play an endless loop. They have no awareness of the living. Others are very different. They can interact with the living and if they want to be seen or heard, they're usually not shy about confronting me – day or night.

Beverly and I had been in the Foreman house almost two hours and I hadn't seen anyone. I was beginning suspect that Ghost Ned wasn't that "into me" after all.

The second floor was in slightly better shape than the downstairs. At least it was marginally cleaner. It had been remodeled sometime in the last 50 years with bathrooms added to each of the five large bedrooms. The living Ned Foreman had told me the plumbing in the house actually worked. I'm sure we'd have cause to verify that statement for ourselves before much longer.

A wall for a probable sixth bedroom had been removed and the space now served as an upstairs sitting area. The removal of the wall also allowed natural light from the window in the former room to light the landing area. Beverly and I agreed this would be a good spot to set up camp.

Leon found a spot of fading sunlight on the old wooden floor and caught a nap. I'd been watching his reactions as we'd toured the house. Except for his barking after the door in the library had slammed, he'd seemed his normal placid self. If there were ghosts around, they were of no concern to him so far.

Beverly and I made multiple trips to the car for our gear, some folding chairs, and an ice chest. In less than an hour, we were ready. Good thing too, the sun was starting to set.

Battery-powered lamps created a six foot island of light. Beyond that, the house was in shadows. Another hour and we wouldn't be able to see anything without the lamps and our flashlights.

"These recorders are voice activated, right, if I turn them on?" Beverly was testing one of the hand held units I'd ordered on line.

I'd just taken a bite of one of the chicken sandwiches from Tiny's that we'd brought to keep us from starving to death during our overnight stay in the house. I nodded and continued chewing.

Beverly began talking into the recorder. "My name is Beverly Heyman. I'm 29-years-old. I'm a dispatcher for the Lottawatah Police Department. I used to sing part-time in a country band. I'm married to Mort Heyman. I got married right out of high school and I have six children. Ashley is 11. Sophia is 9. Jason and James are 7. Melissa is 3 and Mort the III is almost four months old. We own two cats, Popcorn and Cupcake. The twins named them after their favorite things."

She turned off the recorder. "So the way this works is that I just play it back and we listen for other voices?"

"According to what I've seen on television." I grinned. "I haven't actually needed to use one before. Play it back and let's listen. Next time we might have to ask them some questions."

"Right, sorry." Beverly smiled. "I was nervous."

Awake if not alert, Leon ambled over and nudged my knee. I tore off a piece of my sandwich and handed it to him. He'd had his dinner, but, apparently, was still peckish. I'd need to take him outside for a short walk soon. Of course with the length of his legs, all walks were short.

"Let's hear it."

"Okay, here goes." Beverly pressed play and we listened.

"These recorders are voice activated, right, if I turn them on? Why are you here? My name is Beverly Heyman. I'm 29 years old. I'm a dispatcher for the Lottawatah Police Department. I used to sing part-time in a country band. Sing? I'm married to Mort Heyman. I got married right out of high school and I have six children. Ashley is 11. Sophia is 9. Jason and James are 7. Twins? Melissa is 3 and Mort the III is almost four months old. You shouldn't leave your babies. Go home now. We own two cats, Popcorn and Cupcake. Meow, Meow.  The twins named them after their favorite things."

Beverly's voice was clear. The second voice was scratchy, older, but clearly also female.

The surprise, to me, was the cat. I knew there were shadow animals, but hadn't actually heard one before. I'd have to ask if Georgia had a cat while she was living.

"Whoa! Who does she think she is?" Beverly's face turned white. "Why does she get to have an opinion about how I take care of my kids?"

Beverly was missing the point at the moment, but it would come to her. We weren't alone. Ned Foreman wasn't alone. There was at least one other ghost in the house.
 
A Haunting in Lottawatah - Kindle (exclusive to Amazon this month)
The Ghosts of Lottawatah - trade paperback collection of the Brianna e-books
Book 1 - I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (includes the first four Brianna e-books)
Book 2 - A Haunting in Lottawatah (includes the 5th, 6th, and 7th Brianna e-books)
_____________________
 

 

 
Sullivan Investigations Mystery
Murder Off the Books Kindle - Nook - Smashwords - Trade Paperback
Murder Takes the Cake Kindle - Trade Paperback (exclusive to Amazon)
Riley Come Home (short story)- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Moonlighting at the Mall (short story) - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
 





Brianna Sullivan Mysteries - e-book series
I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Dog Days of Summer in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Holiday Spirit(s) of Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Undying Love in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
A Haunting in Lottawatah - Kindle (exclusive to Amazon this month)
Lottawatah Twister - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Missing in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Good Grief in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Summer Lightning in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

The Ghosts of Lottawatah - trade paperback collection of the Brianna e-books
Book 1 - I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (includes the first four Brianna e-books)
Book 2 - A Haunting in Lottawatah (includes the 5th, 6th, and 7th Brianna e-books)

Romances
Love Lessons - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

3 comments:

  1. That was fun!! Thanks for sharing that with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exciting excerpt! I'm looking forward to reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Laura and Linda.

    Happy Halloween!

    Marian and Rhonda aka Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.