Monday, April 26, 2010

The Sunny Side of the Street


I’d already written a blog for this week, but something happened that made me shelve it for the time being. I know you all want to know why I think Hugh Hefner actually made sense, but you’ll just have to wait for that bit of wisdom.

Instead, I was backing out of my driveway and saw a tiny cardinal hopping across my front lawn. It was just going about its business, but for me it was definitely the harbinger of spring, a time of renewal. I know both Passover and Easter have passed, and all the rituals that signify a new season, but that little bird made me smile and think about the little things in life that bring me so much pleasure and hope. Let’s assume that husband, kids, and friends do indeed bring me much happiness year round – but I’m talking about what’s the bomb diggity (to date myself endlessly) right now.

1. Pink tulips bulbs planted on a gray October day, when the skies matched my mood, that have now blossomed into heavenly multiple pink blooms. Given to me by a friend who wanted me to keep the long view in mind when going through a tough time, she reminded me that when things were bad, I should just think of the pink tulips to come. And indeed, she was right. They have popped out of the ground when my mood is so much lighter. (And kudos to friends who find such wonderful ways to offer comfort and support).

2. New recipes that are easy, healthy, and most of all tasty. I like to cook, but I'm often in a rut when it comes to dinnertime. Found a new web site that’s a delight because it’s food, family, and fun. If you haven’t stopped by the The Pioneer Woman, give it a try.

3. A fun new mystery series by C. S. Challinor. Two of my kids have studied in Scotland and a third lived in Jacksonville, Florida for a year. To find a mystery that combines the two locales is probably beating the lottery odds, but it was a delightful, fun read.

4. Working – and enjoying it. I’m writing a biography of a good guy and I love the research. I feel like a detective, hunting down clues and following leads – some of which are red herrings that lead nowhere. Hmmm, could be why I’m thrilled to be writing a new mystery with Rhonda. Just hand me a deerstalker hat and I’m off.

Tell me what’s making you smile lately?

Marian (the Northern half of Evelyn David)

Murder Off the Books by Evelyn David
Murder Takes the Cake by Evelyn David
http://www.evelyndavid.com/

5 comments:

  1. This post made me smile! Thanks for telegraphing positivity into the world. Love it. What's making me smile is thinking about seeing you Wednesday night for the Edgar cocktail party! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing our yard and gardens doing so beautifully after a fairly hard winter is great. Can't beat that spring-time renewal feeling and how well it can coat all other things in life.

    And, on a practical note, we spent a big stack of dollars rehabbing this yard two springs ago, went through the "one year later" pluses and minuses last spring (some things had to be replaced, etc.), and this year everything is wonderful. Our three little Koi (Sushi, Cam, and Sticks) made it through a Chicagoland winter and are thriving. Our beloved Paperbark Maple that looked near dead after some sort of crisis last year is fighting the good fight. Our lilacs are blooming well. And the birds and rabbits and foxes and ducks are visiting and providing an extra show. And this past week we had our first real spring rains and it's light past 7p.

    Who can ask for anything more?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with Maggie: this post made me smile! As does my husband, every day, even if I'm feeling crappy. He knows how to push my "happy" button. If it would stop raining here, I'd smile seeing Ed out with the mower. Our lawn (aka, "The Meadow," since we don't use chemicals on it--lots of pretty purple violets though!) needs a shave!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post, made me smile. Beautiful photo. God knew what he was doing when he created flowers.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. Marian, those pink tulips are gorgeous! Go Pink!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.