Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Getting Old is a Pain

Truly thought I'd written my blog for today--and was reminded that I hadn't. Only one of the many things that I've forgotten along the way.

It always makes me happy when some younger person tells me he or she is forgetful too so I can think for awhile that it's not old-age creeping up on me.

Yesterday I went to the doc's for my annual physical. The parking lot was packed and I had to go find an alternate place to park--a vacant lot--and walk back. The waiting room was standing room only with several people sitting outside on benches. Several of the folks wore masks. I always go prepared for a long wait and had a good book to read.

I learned the reason for the crowd was people wanting flu shots. I was called in for my time with the doctor. I was chatting with him about the "pleasures" of getting old and mentioned that a lot of things that I saw my mom go through I have experienced too. I said, "My mom and my sister both had kidney stones, but I haven't." He said, "Then you have something to look forward to," and laughed.

He's a charmer though, the whole time he was doing his exam, he asked me questions about my writing, including if I could sit down and have lunch with any writer who would it be? I have the good fortune of knowing many writers and having lunch with quite a few of them. But thinking about the question now, I think it would be great fun to have lunch and a good visit with all the members of the Stiletto Gang.

What author or authors would you most like to have lunch and visit with?

Marilyn
http://www.fictionforyou.com

10 comments:

  1. I'd love to do lunch with the Stiletto Gang, too! Wish we could arrange that sometime! I would love to share a meal with Margaret Mitchell, but that would entail a medium attending as well (which would be okay). Oh, J.K. Rowling, just because I'm so fascinated by the world she created for Harry Potter. Mark Salzman, Margo Livesey, Sarah Addison Allen...and too many others to name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading your blog.sounds like you have a great doctor. Now for the real reason I am commenting. I have many favorite authors but I would love to have dinner with Debbie Macomber or Nora Roberts maybe even Christina Dodd. Well any who would want me to join them I love them all and to come right down to it I can't truthfully just list only one. I hope to hear more on many who are new to me. Being recently retired I am surfing for new faces and names. susan L.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Susan L, we of the Stiletto Gang are all mystery writers who would love to have you try us.

    And Susan McBride, I have other favorites I'd love to lunch with, but like you, they are far too numerous to list.

    Marilyn
    http://fictionforyou.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn, I only wish I had your energy right now. My co-author and I have decided that "Evelyn David" will always remain 39. I'm sure if we add and divide our real ages by some mysterious factor based on books published and sold we can come up with 39.

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David
    http://www.evelyndavid.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Food? You guys? Oh yeah! I'm IN! I'll even buy. :-)

    Also, totally off the topic, but marginally related to the blog in general, I bought my first pair of stilettos on my lunch hour today. Had to have something to go with the dress I'm wearing to the Anthony Awards dinner at Bouchercon this week. HOW DO YOU GUYS WEAR THESE?

    I will be practicing in my hotel room.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Marilyn, you are not old, you are enduring. :-)

    There are a number of authors I would love to have lunch with, the ones here for instance, but if I could really dream big, I'd love to have lunch with Toni Morrison or Anne Tyler. Love them both for their magical way with words.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're supposed to wear the stilettos? I just carry them around as an assessory. I wear my Nikes!

    Besides lunch with the members of this group, I'd like to have lunch with Steven King. He's been through it all and still kept on writing. I'd like some of his determination. Not his luck - thinking of him being run over by a van - but his determination to keep going afterwards. His book, "On Writing," is wonderful

    Rhonda
    The Southern Half of Evelyn David
    http://www.evelyndavid.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Confession! Though years ago I did wear high heels, never stilettos. I felt very honored--and amused--when I was asked to join this gang of very much younger women. I've had a blast.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rhonda, I love ON WRITING, too. I think every writer should read it at least once.

    Rachel, you go, girl, in those stiletto heels at B-con! Knock 'em dead! ;-)

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd love to have lunch with P.D. James (In England of course)

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.