by Bethany Maines
As many of you know, I'm a mom with a full time job as well as an author. And while all of that is challenging enough, the pandemic has brought many fresh and special new problems. To free up some of my time I'm relinquishing one of my Stiletto Gang posting days to the fantastic Lois Winston. Lois is a USA Today and Amazon bestselling and award-winning author who writes mystery, romance, romantic suspense, chick lit, women’s fiction, children’s chapter books, and nonfiction under her own name and her Emma Carlyle pen name. Lois will be posting on the second Wednesday of the month and I thought I'd sit down and find out a little more about her as she comes on board.
Q: What got you excited and started you on your writing journey?I’m not someone who always knew she wanted to be an author. In the mid-90’s I was going through an extremely stressful period, taking on as much freelance design work as I could because my husband was out of work for an extended period of time. One night I fell into an exhaustive sleep and had a very strange dream—strange for me because I usually don’t remember my dreams. Also, the people in the dream were all strangers. Weirdly, the dream kept unfolding night after night like chapters in a book. Finally, I decided to write it down. When I finished, I had a 50,000 word romance that spanned thirty-five years!
The writing bug had bitten me. Long story short, I joined some writing organizations, learned what I was doing wrong, honed my craft, and signed with an agent. After many years of rewrites, that totally unpublishable romance transformed into a 90,000 word romantic suspense and became Love, Lies and a Double Shot of Deception, the second book I sold.
Q: Do you solve the mysteries in novels & movies or do you sit back and enjoy the ride?I should have had an inkling that I’d eventually wind up writing mysteries because I have an uncanny knack for figuring out whodunit early into most books, movies, or TV episodes. I love when I’m wrong and fall for a red herring, but it doesn’t happen often. My grandfather was the captain of a large county police force and responsible for the apprehension of many gangsters and other bad actors back in the day. I figure I inherited a large dose of his detecting DNA.
Q: And of course, I would be remiss if I didn't ask... what are your favorite shoes?At this point, any that are comfortable! I’m afraid my sexy heels days are over, thanks to foot surgery a few years ago after an injury and arthritis that developed in that foot as a result. So now my shoe closet contains mostly Sketchers with cushioning inner soles.
Connect with Lois!
- Website: www.loiswinston.com
- Newsletter sign-up: https://app.mailerlite.com/webforms/landing/z1z1u5
- Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers blog: www.anastasiapollack.blogspot.com
- Pinterest: www.pinterest.com/anasleuth
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/Anasleuth
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/722763.Lois_Winston
- Bookbub: https://www.bookbub.com/authors/lois-winston
Connect with Bethany!
- Website: https://www.bethanymaines.com
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AuthorBethanyMaines
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/authorbethanymaines/
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/BethanyMaines
- Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/-/e/B002FYCS40
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/3044976.Bethany_Maines
- BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/bethany-maines