Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Day in the Life...

by Bethany Maines

This week I have officially sent my third San Juan Island’sMurder Mystery off to the beta readers, broken a client’s website, and took my daughter to her first karate class.  It’s been a busy week.  Tish Yearly, the heroine of the San Juan Mysteries also lives a busy, scattered life, hopping from emergency to emergency.  But that’s not really the kind of thing I want to emulate about my characters.  And I certainly don’t want to be finding dead bodies every time I turn around.  It would be extremely untidy if nothing else.

In fact, I think living the life of a mystery heroine would be extremely fraught.  You would never know when your next acquaintance was going to turn up dead.  There are some benefits of course.  There’s always some sort of hot police personnel person hanging around and who doesn’t like that?  But the number of friends hiding dark secrets must only be rivaled by the friends in a Romance novel.  Possibly less secret babies, but I wouldn’t want to place money on that.  And don’t forget that usually one of your other friends is the killer.  What kind of people are you associating with mystery heroine?!!  You need a better friend group! 

So, to sum up… I’m glad I’m not a mystery heroine, but I really wish I hadn’t broken the website.  And now if you’ll excuse me I have to go spend some time on hold with the person who can access the website database.  But here is a quote from Unfamiliar Sea to make us all laugh while I cry over the hold music.




**
Bethany Maines is the author of the Carrie Mae Mystery Series, San Juan Islands Mysteries, Shark Santoyo Crime Series, and numerous short stories. When she's not traveling to exotic lands, or kicking some serious butt with her fifth degree black belt in karate, she can be found chasing her daughter or glued to the computer working on her next novel. You can also catch up with her on Twitter, FacebookInstagram, and BookBub.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.