Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Talking About Ebook Promotion and More

Okay folks, I'm getting discouraged. I hate to say it since I was among the very first authors to embrace ebooks eons ago when no one really knew what that meant.

Of course I've read all of Joe Konrath's posts about e-publishing and promotion, and about the young woman who sold 1000s of her self-published e-book and now has a contract from a New York publisher, and Eisler who turned his back on a big advance from his New York publisher to go it on his own with e-books. Oh, and just today I read about a friend of mine who has manged to see 8000 of her books that are on Kindle.

Nearly all my books are on Kindle and I sure haven't come anywhere near selling that many. I don't want to spend all my time promoting, I want to write. I also don't want to drive everyone crazy with my promotions--I fear I may already be doing that.

Maybe I should just relax and be happy with the fans I have now.

Today as this is being read, I'm heading off to a Reader's Group 3 hours away. They invited me two years ago to do this. They've invited me to lunch, then I'll speak about my books and what inspired them, and afterwards for those who care to buy them I'll be autographing, and then they are having a tea. It'll be a really full day. And like any time you are away promoting, you aren't writing. However, I'm really looking forward to this because I love interacting with readers which I'm sure most of you do too.

Next week I'll let you know how this went. In the meantime, if anyone has the secret formula for letting people know about e-books please let me know what it is. Preferably a way that won't take all my waking hours to do.

Marilyn
Books by Marilyn

5 comments:

  1. I'd love to know that secret, too, Marilyn. Promotion eats up so much precious time. Blogging does too, and yet not doing either is akin to suicide.

    Have fun today. Since moving to a remote area, I really miss interacting in person with readers and fellow authors. I'll be thinking of you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually I'm headed to a remote area today--at least off the beaten path so to speak. Turlock is a small town off the 99 in the Central Valley. And I agree, all this promoting takes time and I'm not sure how or if it results in people buying and reading books. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a great time with the book club, Marilyn! They'll love you, I'm sure. As for how to promote anything, oh, boy. What I've learned is to do what you enjoy, don't spend too much money, and save plenty of time for writing. The best thing we can do to further our careers and sales is to write damned good books that readers want to read. Word of mouth is the best sales tool there is, and no one can predict what precisely will catch on. If you're in this business because you love words, then you're in it for the right reason. And I know you do and you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That does sound like a busy day! Great post Marilyn, wish I had some fabulous insight. It's the great thing about being the newbie, nobody expects you know anything! Ebooks are fascinating, and you certainly seem to have the inside track!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for commenting, Susan and Laura.

    I wish I knew more about e-book promotion.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.