Tuesday, September 21, 2021

BODIES GALORE

 

BODIES GALORE

by Saralyn Richard

             


This month, it’s my pleasure to interview fellow-Stiletto-Gang-member, Gay Yellen, author of the Samantha Newman Mystery Series: The Body Business and The Body Next Door. While I’ve known Gay for a very long time, I learned a lot from this interview, and it’s fun to share these things with you.

SR:  Before we get serious, here’s a burning question: The Body Business and The Body Next Door feature a leggy woman wearing drop-dead gorgeous stilettos. (Way to go with subliminal advertising for the Stiletto Gang!). Whose legs are those? Samantha Newman’s or yours?

 

GY:  I wish my legs were that great! Since the titles reveal that the book is a mystery, I wanted the images to reflect the tone: fun and a little bit sassy.

 

SR:  As someone who’s followed your career from the early days in Hollywood, I’m fascinated by the cinematic nature of your writing. How do you feel your writing has been influenced by your experiences as an actor and director?

 

GY:  My training gave me an ear for authentic dialogue, scene pacing, and character motivation, all of which helps create what I hope are entertaining stories. And improv allowed me to think outside the box.

 

SR:  I enjoyed getting to know Samantha Newman. She’s spunky and clever and totally likable. How did Samantha’s character develop in your imagination? Is she a lot like you or someone you know? If Samantha could change one thing about herself, what would that be?

GY:  Samantha was orphaned at a young age and forced to make her own way; I was lucky to have a loving family circle. We do share a sense of justice, and like many women, hard-won resilience. As for change, I think Samantha would prefer to live a less complicated life.

 

SR:  As much as I enjoyed Samantha’s character, the secondary characters in the series really resonated with me. What techniques do you use to depict secondary characters in such a way as to give them the attention they deserve? Who is your favorite secondary character and why?

 

GY:   I love all my characters, but there's a special fondness for Gertie, who holds a certain likeness to my grandmother. Lizzie, the little girl that Samantha befriends in an elevator in Book 2, simply showed up fully formed and stole my heart as I wrote the scene.

 

 

SR:  I remember reading one of the sex scenes in The Body Business and thinking it was the most scintillating, but tasteful sex scenes I’ve ever read. Are sex scenes difficult for you to write? What is your philosophy about them?

 

GY:  A reviewer once complained that just when the sexy stuff gets interesting in my books, I shut the bedroom door. To me, part of the fun is leaving the rest to a reader's imagination. We don't really need an anatomy lesson, do we?

 

SR:  Can you give us a hint about what Samantha might become embroiled in next?

 

GY:  Sam is struggling with a new career that isn't turning out as hoped. She's also a material witness to a shooting, and faces a big decision about her relationship with Carter Chapman.

 

SR:  What makes Samantha and Carter Chapman a perfect couple? What stands in the way of this?

 

GY:  They're both strong-willed, and they both like to fight for the underdog. Problem is, he keeps wanting to protect her, and she doesn't want his help. Stubbornness could be her undoing.

 

SR:  I read on your website that you are toying with the idea of writing a historical novel set in the 16th century. What is it about that time that draws you to that setting?

 

GY:  I'm fascinated by the clash of cultures in the New World at the dawn of that century: indigenous peoples, conquistadors, the secrecy and terror of the Inquisition. It left a legacy that's still with us today.

Won't you join me in celebrating Gay and her fun and sparkling books?

 

 

After a show-biz stint in Hollywood, Gay Yellen began her professional writing career as managing editor of Tennis Illustrated Magazine and later, of D Magazine in Dallas. She was the contributing editor/ghost writer for Five Minutes to Midnight, a New York Times New & Notable  thriller, after which she began her own multi-award-winning Samantha Newman Mystery Series, which includes The Body BusinessThe Body Next Door and the soon-to-be released, Body in the News.

Want to know more about Gay and her books? Read more at her website and Amazon

GayYellen.com

THE BODY BUSINESS
            RONE Finalist
            Pages from the Heart Finalist
THE BODY NEXT DOOR
            Readers’ Favorite Mystery
            Chanticleer Mystery & Mayhem 1st Place
            Silver Falchion Finalist, Killer Nashville
BODY IN THE NEWS - Coming in 2021

 

Award-winning and best-selling author, Saralyn Richard was born with a pen in her hand and ink in her veins. A former educator, she loves connecting with readers. Her humor- and romance-tinged mysteries and children's book pull back the curtain on people in settings as diverse as elite country manor houses and disadvantaged urban high schools.

Saralyn’s most recent release is A MURDER OF PRINCIPAL. Look for her mystery/thriller, BAD BLOOD SISTERS in March 2022.

Visit Saralyn 
here, on her Amazon page here, or on Facebook here.

14 comments:

  1. I am loving these author interviews. So lovely to learn about the Stiletto Gang members. Saralyn, I love your word sparking to describe Gay's writing. It comes through loud and clear in this blog. And Gay, I so agree with you about shutting the door. I've written sex scenes before, and it does seem to get into plumbing. Gratuitous anything is a turnoff for me. Looking forward to reading your books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Donnell. I hope you enjoy them. And I agree, Saralyn's a great interviewer!

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Donnell. Glad you enjoyed this fun interview!

      Delete
  2. Wow, it's so wonderful to learn about Gay and her writing. Thank you, Saralyn - and Gay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading and commenting, Barbara. Fun to share the interview with you.

      Delete
  3. Thanks, Gay, for being such a fascinating subject for an interview. I enjoyed it immensely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Gay Yellen! The first two books were so fun and engaging. I can't wait for book 3!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Molly, thanks for the love. I can't wait for you to read it!

      Delete
    2. I agree completely. Thanks for reading and commenting!

      Delete
  6. I love your Samantha Newman character. Great interview!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.