Tuesday, September 15, 2020

Two Truths and a Lie

by Saralyn Richard

 

When I was a high school administrator, one of my favorite ice-breakers for meetings was the game, Two Truths and a Lie. If you’ve never played it, each person at the table comes up with three facts about herself, one of which is not true. The others at the table have to guess which fact is the lie.

            This game is particularly fun for people who love mysteries. The participants have to put on their sleuth hats, use clues about what they already know about the speaker, and, once the lie is announced, praise or chastise themselves for their deductive wisdom.

            Since this is Back to School month, I thought I’d write a version of Two Truths and a Lie, and let you guess. Are you ready? Here goes…



            Fact #1: After decades of living in a totally different area of the country, I returned to my hometown, and I live in the house I grew up in.

            Fact #2: I started thinking of myself as an author when my sophomore English teacher told me that’s what I should do for a career.

            Fact #3: I’m married to a police detective, and that’s who my series protagonist, Oliver Parrott, is patterned after.

 

            Before we get to the solution, let me tell you a little about A PALETTE FOR LOVE AND MURDER, which is my latest release. Second in the Detective Parrott mystery series, the book takes you back to the beautiful, serene Brandywine Valley in Pennsylvania, where the landscape is lush, the mansions are huge, and the secrets are deep. Two valuable paintings, taken from the artist’s own studio, start Parrott on his next case. Soon theft turns into murder, and Parrott is thrust into a complicated case that becomes all-too-personal.

            Here’s what novelist, William Kent Krueger, author of THIS TENDER LAND, has to say about it:

“In the Brandywine Valley, a delicate balance exists between the very wealthy and those who serve them, but the murder of a famous artist threatens this tenuous equilibrium. In her second outing featuring Detective Parrott, author Saralyn Richard offers readers a compelling story of worlds in collision. A Palette For Love and Murder probes more than the mysteries of the art world and the motives for murder. Satisfied readers will discover that it also delicately plumbs the depths of love and the human heart. This is another winner for Richard.”

            A PALETTE FOR LOVE AND MURDER has been honored with the Silver Medal in the category of Mystery/Sleuth in the 2020 Readers Favorite contest and the finalist status in the 2020 International Book Fest contest’s mystery/suspense category. You can purchase the book at your indie bookstore or online at https://www.barnesandnoble.com/s/A+Palette+for+Love+and+Murder?_requestid=2258777

or

https://www.amazon.com/Palette-Love-Murder-Detective-Parrott/dp/1644372045/ref=

 

Back to the ice-breaker—if you chose Fact #1, you didn’t guess that I might have returned “home” in 2005 to the house that I grew up in. That’s true, and I love being surrounded by wonderful memories of family and friends and good times.

If you chose Fact #2, you didn’t guess that my English teacher, Mari Allmond, inspired me to become a writer (and a teacher), and, she continues to inspire me all these years later. By the way, one of the main characters in A PALETTE FOR LOVE AND MURDER is named after Mari.

If you chose Fact #3, you solved the case with the best of them! Congratulations! I’m married to a wonderful guy, who is my alpha reader and adviser in many topics, but he has never been a police detective.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for playing along. I hope Back-to-School month brings you good health, lots of interesting activities, and much joy.

 

 

 

 

4 comments:

  1. Fun game, but I know you too well to play.;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Gay! You're right. That would be cheating, for sure. Thanks for reading.

      Delete
    2. THE FIRST TWO STATEMENTS ARE TOTALLY FALSE, OUT AND OUT LIES, SO #3 IS TRUE. HAVING SERVED WITH ED FOR YEARS ON THE BRANDYWINE POLICE FORCE I CAN ATTEST TO THAT FACT. REGARDING THE COMPROMISE COVER, I FIND IT TOO SEPIA, TOO SOFT. MAKE IT BLACK AND WHITE. IT SHOULD BE STARK. LIGHTEN IT UP. AS IS, IT HURTS THE EYES, AND DIMINISHES THE EVIL INTENT OF THE PLOT. ALL THIS IS RENDERED FREE OF CHARGE. FURTHER ASSISTANCE AND YOU WILL BE CHARGED APPROPRIATELY. REGARDS TO ED, NANA AND ARCHIE, AND BEST WISHES FOR A HAPPY, HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR. AND LASTLY, PLEASE KILL OFF TANYA OR SEND HER AWAY TO PARIS LONG TERM ON AN ART SCHOLARSHIP. PARROTT'S CHARACTER IS ALREADY SO WELL DRAWN THAT HE CAN STAND ALONE. SHE ON THE OTHER HAND DISTRACTS AND AGGRAVATES ME, AND REMINDS ME TOO MUCH OF THE WIFE OF THAT FORMER PRESIDENT.




      Delete
  2. Not sure how the cover vote turned out, but I liked the image on the main page. Had no problem knowing #3 was the lie. Now, my 'distortions of reality'....

    1) Can't rewatch a film or reread a book. Forward, on to the next adventure!
    2) Militantly left-handed
    3) Deeply involved in community affairs

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.