Thursday, January 23, 2014

When Procrastination Pays A Visit

When Procrastination Pays A Visit
By Laura Bradford

I have a lot of work to do at this particular time and I know this.

know this.

Yet, despite that inarguable fact, there's something inside me that's moving at a snail's pace and jumping at every chance I can find to procrastinate.

Wait. There's snow on the ground?  I must shovel.

The fire is dying down?  I must add logs...and tend it.

Haven't checked my email inbox in the past thirty minutes?  I must do that...now.

And so it goes, on and on and on.

It's not the book I'm writing, because it's a fun plot.

It's not that I'm stuck on what comes next, because I'm not.

I'm just finding it hard to concentrate on anything and it's driving me nuts. Nuts, I tell you.

But waiting it out isn't working. Neither is the "I'll be better today" I keep telling myself every morning only to give in to the pull of procrastination inside about ten minutes of rising.

It's time to banish this personal houseguest of mine once and for all. Or, at least, until the current book is written and in the hands of my publisher (though, after that's done, I have other projects I want/need to get to, as well).

Which means, the daily to-do list is back on the case, taunting me with that insatiable desire I have to see a check next to every item before I can go to bed at night.

So how about you? What's your trick for keeping procrastination out of your home?

~Laura

10 comments:

  1. I dunno, but if you find a good one let me know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I was hoping *you* could tell *me*, Dusty.

      :)

      Delete
  2. I'll tell you what my trick is, but I think I'll tell you later, :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL, Lisa K! I guess my houseguest has a twin at your house, too!

      Delete
  3. I entirely sympathize. Sometimes the dishes get done because I would literally do anything other than write. Meanwhile, to move completely off topic, Pam Hopkins is the winner of yesterday's ARC giveaway. Pam if you're reading today's blog, email me at Carriemae.agent@gmail.com to collect your prize!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And when we opt to do dishes over writing, we know we have it bad, Bethany!

      Delete
  4. I love planning, it's the execution that wains at time. And the fact I love bright and shiny's... oooh, it's a squirrel.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Squirrels are everywhere right now, Lynn. EVERYWHERE! ;)

      Delete
  5. Sometimes I think procrastination owns my house and I am the one who visits..... Still trying to figure out the best way to kick it out of here.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mauratroy, the past few weeks, you may be even more right about it owning the house. Made my to-do list yesterday and crossed everything off. I don't know why I resist doing this so much.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.