Monday, January 27, 2014

January and Award Shows

I love the month of January because I'm an award show addict and broadcast are four shows I have watched since forever. I may not follow everything, but I just like seeing the outfits being worn and what the award shows are focused on. So far I've watched

People's Choice Awards:
  • What it honors: The People's Choice Awards were founded in 1975 to give fans an opportunity to express their opinions about pop culture. It's the only major awards show decided by the public and honors film, television and music. 
  • Who votes: Anyone! Fans can vote online for 58 categories.

Golden Globe Awards:
  • What it honors: First held in 1947, the Golden Globe Awards honor achievements in film and television, dividing the nominees into two categories: comedy/musical and drama. The awards include 25 categories, 14 in film and 11 in television. 
  • Who votes: Members of the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, around 90 journalists all based in Southern California who cover the entertainment industry for outlets around the world.

Screen Actors Guild Awards 
  • What it honors: The annual awards, now in their 20th year, honor acting work in five film categories and eight television categories. The most important award goes to an ensemble cast in both TV and film in order to highlight the collaborative art of acting. 
  • Who votes: Only members of acting guild SAG-AFTRA may vote, so all winners are decided by their peers. The guild includes around 100,000 actors.

Grammy Awards
  • What it honors: Presented by the Recording Academy, the Grammys celebrate achievement in the recording arts. The awards are now in their 56th year and have become the most coveted honor for musicians of all genres. 
  • Who votes: Members of the Recording Academy can cast their votes in 82 categories and are meant to determine winners based on artistic and technical merit, not sales numbers.

There are other award shows, some not aired that occurs that will lead up to the grand-daddy of all award shows:

Academy Awards 
  • What it honors: Also known as the Oscars, the first Academy Awards were held in 1929 in the Hollywood Roosevelt Hotel and have been televised since 1953. The awards honor achievements in film and are generally considered the most important awards in Hollywood. 
  • Who votes: More than 600 members of the academy, all film artists and professionals, vote in 24 categories.

I had mentioned on my Facebook page that there should be an award show for Books so our favorite authors could walk the red carpet.

So, if you were nominated for an award, what would you wear to the Literary Awards?


3 comments:

  1. I have given up watching award shows, They will pick the best and worst dressed and put them on the internet the next day, along with the winners. Also I fall asleep early so never get to watch a whole show.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Gram, never get to see the whole show--no matter what it is. Commercials come along and I'm gone. And I'm disgusted with the Oscars--this year they didn't pick the best movies--instead one of the most disgusting. I don't think I'd ever have to worry about walking a red carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never watch award shows and haven't for more than 20 years. In the 80's I watched the MTV Video Music Awards. The kind of movies I like aren't nominated for awards (except for a few, like Titanic). I just don't relate to award shows.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.