Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Due Dates

by Bethany Maines

It's the new year! And you know what that means? That's right, we’re drawing ever closer to my due date. Not my actual due date. I'm alternatively pretending a baby not going to imminently be spawned from my body and wishing the date would hurry up so I could stop feeling like a ship under full sail.  (She’s coming about – tack starboard, avoid, avoid!!)  No, I'm referring to my next book - Tales From the City of Destiny. My ARC is due tomorrow and I'm starting to watch for the mailman with the same intensity as my dog (see picture – we call him the dogoyle.) Every new ARC is like a present. Will it be perfect? Will I wish to re-gift it? What's it going to be??? Ahhhhhh!!



Meanwhile, the crib isn't put together, we haven't picked a name, and my baby shower turns out to be at the same time as the Seahawk’s first playoff game. A fact that practically all of my friends have complained about. (Seriously, friends, seriously? It’s not like we knew that ahead of time.  And honestly, I like football better than baby showers too, but I swear it’s going to be fun – there’s going to be booze, and we’re not playing any of the stupid games.  Suck it up people!) But do I care about these things? Well, yeah, a little bit. But right this minute, what I really care about is seeing the fruition of all my hard work in print. 

Tales From the City of Destiny is a collection of short stories that track a character over the course of a decade. It’s something that has been years in the making and I have to say that I’m very proud of it. I feel that I have both challenged my writing skills and honed in on how I really wanted to write. I can’t wait to share it with my fans, friends and family! 


So as the date gets closer, I’ll keep my fingers crossed that all goes well, that typos vanish and the cover shines.  And as for the other due date… well, if worse comes to worse the baby can sleep on the dog bed – I’m sure he’d rather be on the couch anyway.  (I'm kidding - I swear!!)



    
Bethany Maines is the author of the Carrie Mae Mystery series and Tales from the City of Destiny. You can also view the Carrie Mae youtube video or catch up with her on Twitter and Facebook.


3 comments:

  1. I'm excited for you! And what's a baby shower without a muted football game playing in the background?. Looking forward to being able to peak under the covers and admire your creation in person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm excited to see both my creations soon. Hopefully they don't end up with the same due date. :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Dogoyle." Cute, I love it! Best of luck with your ARC!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.