Tuesday, September 28, 2010

What Being a Writer Means to Me

First, I must say that as a writer I write. I have to write. There are times when I can't fit it in, usually because of family crisis or needs, but writing is what I want to do every day. I want to know what is going to happen to my characters and the only way to find out is to write about them.

Being a writer has also given me so much more than merely having my books published--though believe me, it's a thrill each time a new one comes out.

First and foremost are the friends that I've made because of writing--author friends and reader friends. I cherish each one of them. I think when I first realized how many friends I'd made was at a Bouchercon years ago and as I entered the area where the panels were being held I was greeted and hugged by one person after another.

Because of being a writer--and at the time I was an instructor for Writers Digest School--I was invited to be an instructor at the prestigious Maui Writers Conference which meant a free trip to Maui.

I've also been asked to speak at other writers conferences in many different places--and I love seeing new places and of course meeting new people. I also like to share what I know about writing and publishing with new writers.

Speaking of seeing new places, going to mystery and other writing cons has taken me to places I'd have never gone otherwise. Going to Mayhem in the Midlands made Omaha NE one of my favorite places. Last year, attending Epicon gave me the opportunity to see New Orleans.

I enjoy book festivals too and have my favorites. Hubby and I love to make jaunts to the coast and combining one with a book festival has become something we do often. We just returned from San Luis Obispo and the Central Coast Book Festival and a couple of weeks before we were at Nipomo's library book fest.

Next up is Bouchercon in San Francisco. I'm rooming with someone I haven't seen since I went with her to Edgar week in New York and on down to Malice Domestic in DC. That will be a fun reunion--and I'll be seeing a bunch of other friends too.

To sum it all up, being a writer has given me the opportunity to do so many things I would never have done otherwise--and it's not only been satisfying but lots of fun.

Marilyn
http://fictionfroyou.com

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn, I know just how you feel about writing. I can't imagine not doing it. It's as much a part of my life as breathing (well, you know what I mean!). And I, too, am so grateful for the friends I've made because of it...like you and the other Stiletto ladies! What a great, great gift!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.