By Lynn McPherson
There are so many great things about the holidays. Today I’m going to talk about one of my favourite parts—the food! After conferring with my kids we’ve come up with some of our picks for the holidays. Let’s start with appetizers and finger foods…
Our top three choices for Go-To Snacks when friends drop by:
1. Veggie Tray—okay, let’s get the healthy stuff out so everyone can make sure to take care of their bodies and keep everyone feeling good.
2. Bread and Dips: fresh or frozen, bread can be warmed quickly and easily in the oven. Even if you haven’t been to the store in a few days, taste buds won’t suffer. Now, the dip? Hummus is always a good choice. Then there’s olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Finally, butter. On the holidays, butter is a treat I never skip.
3. Chips: With so many varieties, you don’t have to stick to the basics. And why not add in a healthy choice for fun? Lentil chips. Quinoa chips. Veggie Straws. The list goes on.
Let’s move on to entrée ideas. You can’t have turkey every night!
1. Schnitzel: Meat or plant-based, schnitzel is a fun alternative for the whole family. It's worth the effort.
2. Lasagne: Why not? This is one meal everyone seems to enjoy. Filling and tasty. The best part is the entire meal is contained in one tray so it's minimal mess.
3. Stir-Fry: Cut up your favourite veggies or pick up a frozen bag. Then it’s just a matter of some rice and your favourite protein—chicken? Tofu? Beef? Up to you.
Finally, we reach the desserts. With so many options, what should you choose? Here are my picks for holiday fun:
1. Shortbread Cookies: Butter anyone? Enough said.
2. Box of Chocolates: And why not? Everyone has a favourite.
3. Gingerbread Cookies: Simple, classic, and fun for the whole family.
Now once you’ve bid your guests farewell and the house is quiet again, it’s time to grab a nice cup of tea and your favourite mystery. What better way to end a busy day?
What are your favourite holiday foods? Is there something you always have on hand for an impromptu get together?
Happy Holidays everyone!
Lynn McPherson has worked for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, ran a small business, and taught English across the globe. She has travelled the world solo where her daring spirit has led her to jump out of airplanes, dive with sharks, and learn she would never master a surfboard. She now channels her lifelong love of adventure and history into her writing, where she is free to go anywhere, anytime. Her cozy series has three books out: The Girls' Weekend Murder and The Girls Whispered Murder, and The Girls Dressed For Murder.