Thursday, May 15, 2014

Tried and True Shall Be My Guide

Tried and True Shall Be My Guide
By Laura Bradford

"You won't know if you don't try."

"Sometimes life's best surprises come in unexpected packages."

When I look back on my childhood, these two quotes were uttered in my ear most often--usually in relation to eating vegetables (something I still don't like to this day, but that's a different post entirely).

But statements like these are considered "tried and true" because, well, they're tried and true. If I'd never tried my hand at writing, my 19th book wouldn't be coming out in August. If I'd never gotten in a pool with a dolphin, I'd never know that was one of my happiest (non-mom) moments in life. If I'd never pushed aside my shyness and approached a stranger on the other side of a pool in St. Thomas, I wouldn't have one of my dearest friends.

So, with the exception of vegetables, I find that those two quotes have guided me (quite successful) throughout my life (thanks, Mom!).

I'm bringing this up because I've been uttering those quotes to myself a lot the last few weeks as I embark on a completely new writing project.

The idea came to me about a year ago, but, because of books I'm contracted to write, the time never presented itself.

Until now.

Thanks to a small break in my writing schedule, I found myself with an opportunity to truly dabble. It's going slow...very slow. And, at times (okay, a lot) I find myself doubting whether I can do it. I question whether I can do the plot justice. I second guess myself on the pacing, the voice, the everything. Yet, that little voice inside myself keeps telling me to write and reminding me of those oh so familiar quotes.

And so I keep writing.

Maybe it will be what I envision in my head. Maybe it will be better (or, gulp, worse). But I won't know if I don't try, right? ;)

So how are you with trying something new? Do you second guess yourself, or just dive right in?

~Laura

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to finding out what you're writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of you reaching for a new goal! You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, when I see how it goes, I'll share. :)

    Thanks, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.