Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Perils of a Big Family

Everyone knows I have a really big family. Not only is mine big, so is my sister's. She had one less child than I did with 4, but those four have managed to produce 15 with three step kids thrown in there, and then there's the great grands which I won't even attempt to count. She hasn't caught up with me yet.

This June I received so many graduation announcements--middle school, high school, and two Masters degrees. And then there are all the birthdays--I only send birthday greetings to my own children and grandchildren now. (For those that are on Facebook, at least I can say Happy Birthday.) I'll not even mention Christmas. My sis and I quit giving each other birthday and Christmas gifts long ago when this whole family thing got out of hand.

We are called upon to help out a lot too--we've raised a grandson and granddaughter, have another adult grandson living with us. Last week, a grandson called and asked his grandpa if he could come up to the school and help with back-to-school night, cooking hamburgers. He put on his apron and took off.

Sadness and worries abound too. Then there are the illnesses and accidents. Fortunately, we're a praying family, so people can be assured of many prayers.

We have our share of drama: marriages in trouble, babies arriving without a marriage, teens in trouble, and so on. (My husband says that's why I watch the soap General Hospital, because they have more problems than our family does.)

Right now, one of my sister's granddaughters has put herself in peril. She's 19 with some disabilities, physical and mental. The girl met some older man on Facebook who lived in the big city she lives in and he came and took her to his house. Her brother figured out where and went and brought her back. The guy got her again. A girlfriend went there and took her home. She left again.

Her parents are distraught. It is taking a toll on the mother's already bad health though she manages to work every day. They've gone to the police, but because she's over 18 and they are not her legal guardians--merely her parents--she can do what she wants.

From what we've heard the man has told her that she's being cheated out of her social security money by her parents. Impossible, since she's not getting any and never has. Of course she's unhappy about other things, she thinks her parents are preventing her from going to college and getting a job. Maybe they are, I don't know. Maybe they've been overprotective. She finished high school, but got a special ed. diploma. I'm not around her all that much, but almost every time I have been, she's had a recent seizure or has had one at whatever event we're attending including last year's family reunion.

Of course this young woman is in peril--she has no idea.

Not sure where I'm going with this, I think I just needed to get it out in the open.

On the plus side, I love my family--all of them. Most of the time, things move along well and I get to hear about their accomplishments, the sports the grandkids are excelling in, the dancing competitions, how much they love school, and on and on.

We'll get through this crisis, we've done so with all the others.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

I write because I can be sure there'll be a happy ending.

8 comments:

  1. I am also a 'praying person' and will pray that your sister's granddaughter can find her happy ending.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marilyn: What a terrible time for you and your family. You are in my thoughts and prayers. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes all a family can do is be there to pick up the pieces. I hope things improve with the situation you shared with us.

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry about your sister's granddaughter. My prayers are with you and your family.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Hap's comment that you watch "General Hospital" because they have more troubles than you! Too funny (although I have a feeling that's why a lot of folks watch soaps!). I sincerely hope everything works out with your sister's granddaughter, Marilyn.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The family has met the man now, they say he is very controlling and way too old. However, she seems happy. She's posting on Facebook and telling fun thing's she done.

    All I (and my sis) really want is for her to be safe.

    All prayers accepted gratefully.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. My prayers and good thoughts are with you.

    We've been in a similar situation with my sister and it worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Dru, I appreciate your comment and prayers.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.