Monday, March 14, 2022

Interview with Stiletto Gang Member Lois Winston

 When Stiletto Gang Blog members suggested interviewing fellow blog members, it only made sense for me to partner with author Lois Winston. After all, as critique partners, we know where 

Author Lois Winston
the bodies are buried (so to speak).  I feel fortunate to have Lois as a critique partner. She has an outstanding brain, is well read, and knows the publishing industry. Do I take everything she suggests? Absolutely not, and vice versa. But the fact that we brainstorm, mull over plots, word choice, grammar, goal, motivation, and conflict is worth all the gold in Fort Knox.  (All right, maybe not ALL the gold).

With that, let’s get to know author Lois Winston better.

 Donnell:  Lois, you recently moved to Tennessee from New Jersey to be closer to family.  How many months has it been and how has the New Jersey girl transitioned to living in the South?  What is your favorite thing so far about Tennessee? And what do you miss most about New Jersey?


 Lois: We’ve been here since the end of June but in our new home since the middle of July. It’s been a difficult transition for me. Up until now I had lived my entire life in either metro New York City or metro Philadelphia—and I don’t mean Philadelphia, Mississippi! Moving during a pandemic has made the transition even more difficult. However, I do like the milder winters.

 What I miss most about New Jersey is no longer being within a short train ride into Manhattan. I’m going through massive theater and museum withdrawal, and it isn’t pretty! Just ask my husband!


Manhattan skyline


Donnell:  The beauty of writing the Anastasia Pollack series is that you can visit New Jersey any time you wish. How many books have you written now surrounding Westfield and the state of New Jersey?


 Lois: Getting back to New Jersey isn’t that easy. It requires me to either hop on a plane or drive thirteen hours, which I can’t do in one day. Would you believe there are no trains that go from Nashville to New York?


No trains, so a plane will have to do...

Both my Anastasia Pollack Crafting Mystery Series, of which there are currently ten novels and three novellas, and my two Empty Nest Mysteries are set in Westfield. In addition, Westfield is part of the setting for Moms in Black, the first Mom Squad Caper; my contemporary romance, Finding Hope; and my middle school novel, The Magic Paintbrush. My other books have been set in two other New Jersey towns, New York, and Philadelphia.

Donnell:  Reviewers have compared your protagonist Anastasia Pollack to Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum. Did you have that in mind when you started writing the series? Do you feel your protagonist after 10 books and 3 novellas has formed an identity of her own? How many more books do you plan for this series?

 Lois: I didn’t consciously have the Stephanie Plum books in mind when I wrote the first Anastasia book, but I’ve always enjoyed Evanovich’s humor. Kirkus Reviews called Anastasia “North Jersey’s more mature answer to Stephanie Plum,” and I think that’s true. Stephanie doesn’t have to worry about anyone but herself. Anastasia is a more realistic character. She’s juggling widowhood while raising two teenagers and dealing with the debt her husband left her. She’s also permanently stuck with her communist mother-in-law. Stephanie works in a profession that has her dealing with criminals daily. Anastasia is the crafts editor at a women’s magazine. Murder and mayhem aren’t part of her job description, yet circumstances beyond her control force her into becoming a reluctant amateur sleuth.

As for how many more books I’ll write in the series, I’ll keep writing about Anastasia as long as she’ll let me.

Donnell: As a graphic artist and former craft editor, you and your protagonist are closely related. At the back of your books, you always have craft projects and ideas for readers. Do you find that an advantage of writing this series? Do you have an avid “craft” following?

Lois: When I was asked to write the series, it was understood that craft projects would be included, just as recipes are included in culinary mysteries. The difference, though, is that I’m limited in the type of projects I can feature. I can’t include patterns, only written directions or tips, due to the limitations of size in a printed book and the fact that there would be no way for someone reading an ebook to print or download a pattern.

 Back when I was a full-time designer, I had a sizable following. This was before the Internet really took off, but I still hear from crafters from time to time. In 1996 I designed a 3-D cross stitched Nativity set that was featured in Women’s World. I still receive emails from a few crafters each year, usually because they want to stitch another set and have lost the patterns.

Donnell:  At one time, you wrote romantic suspense, do you think you’ll ever write another romantic suspense?

Lois: I’ve learned never to say never, but it won’t happen anytime soon. My romantic suspense novels were quite dark. With everything going on in the world, I’d rather write humorous cozy mysteries. We all need to laugh more these days.

Donnell:  Speaking of romance, you have one in your Anastasia Pollack series. After being widowed from the louse of a spouse, Anastasia has found happiness with photojournalist Zack Barnes. In a recent book Anastasia and Zack became engaged. Have readers commented on their engagement—are they excited about their upcoming nuptials? Any hints at whether this will be a long engagement or a sudden elopement?

Lois: I’ve heard from many readers who want to know when Anastasia and Zack will marry. Zack proposed in Handmade Ho-Ho Homicide, the eight book in the series. I didn’t want the wedding to occur in the next book, and it didn’t work for the plot I wanted to write for the last book. I’m currently working on the eleventh book in the series, and I’m thinking this might be the book that will include a wedding. We’ll see…

Donnell:  One thing, I don’t think readers and writers know about you is that you’re a former literary agent and are extremely generous with your industry colleagues, published and unpublished alike. I have benefitted firsthand by knowing you for so many years. If you were the Dear Abby of Publishing, what advice would you give to published authors? Then, turn this, what advice would you give to aspiring authors?


Lois: The best writing advice I ever received was from the owner of the agency that represented me and employed me for ten years. He said that every scene in a book and all dialogue needs to do one of two things—either advance the plot or tell the reader something he or she needs to know about the point of view character at that moment. If it doesn’t, it’s filler and should be cut. This advice applies to both published and unpublished writers.

As for aspiring authors, my best advice is to remember that the road to publication is a marathon, not a sprint. Take the time to learn your craft and grow a thick skin to deal with the inevitable rejections you’ll receive along the way. Very few authors have ever sold their first attempt immediately after completion—if ever. There are thousands of first manuscripts cavorting with the dust bunnies under beds throughout the world. Those who have been lucky enough to sell their first book usually did so only after many revisions over several years.

Donnell: Thanks, Lois! To say I’m grateful for your friendship is putting it mildly. Thank you for always picking up the phone.

Lois: Ditto, Donnell!

Want to learn more about prolific author Lois Winston? Check out her website at: 

http://www.loiswinston.com

28 comments:

  1. I love the way the friendship the two of you have flows through this interview. Two wonderful authors--two great friends.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Saralyn. I'm trying to remember where we met. I believe it was in a transport van on a way to a conference back in either 2007 or 2010. She's REALLY old. :)

      Delete
    2. No, it was before that, Donnell. I'm pretty sure it was the first RWA conference I attended after joining the Mystery & Suspense chapter. I think we were both helping out to set up the book fair. And I'm going to make you pay if you divulge my age! Just remember, you're only a few years younger. ;-D

      Delete
  2. Thanks, Saralyn! Donnell and I have developed a deep friendship over the years and a huge respect for each other, both in the writing world and beyond. We often disagree, but we always agree to disagree! I consider myself blessed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of dittos going around. Both of us are transplants now. The telephone and earbuds have become very special communication devices in our worlds.

      Delete
    2. Such is the life of a hermit writer! I'm looking forward to the day we can get together in person again.

      Delete
  3. wonderful interview, girls! And I hope the move is going well, Lois.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vicki, she's remodeled, I've remodeled. I'm sure you know that word, "remodel." :) Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Vicki. It's had its ups and downs. We still need to paint the entire interior, which hasn't been done since the house was built 18 yrs. ago. However, with the hit our IRAs are taking, we're probably going to have to put that off until next year. I also have a few other wish list items that are 3-5 yrs. down the road.

      Delete
  4. Love the Anastasia Pollack books! And you two should consider co-writing a book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Patricia. That's actually an idea we've toyed with over the years. Maybe someday it will happen

      Delete
    2. Thank you, Patricia. I haven't told Lois this but I'm holding out for James Patterson. :) Seriously, she's a pro and our voices are totally different. I keep that in mind when critiquing. Her story, her voice... my story, my voice. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  5. Donnell, thanks for interviewing my former critique partner and friend. Lois, terrific interview. I'm happy to learn how you're adapting to the South (not!) and continuing your Anastasia series. And reminders of craft are always welcome. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susan, my pleasure. The thing about craft is we always need reminding -- at least I do. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
    2. Susan, so good to see you here! Glad you enjoyed the interview. Thanks for stopping by and commenting.

      Delete
  6. The South grows on you to a point that you incorporate it into your writing. Wait until Anastasia and Zack visit Nashville! Love the contrast and respect between the two of you, Donnell and Lois. Nice interview exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Debra! From one ex-Jersey girl (not to mention ex-Newark girl!) to another, how long did it take for the South to grow on you?

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness, what fun Anastasia would have with a visit to Nashville. Great suggestion, Debra ;) Thanks very much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Are you all conspiring to get me to move Anastasia to Nashville?

      Delete
  8. Wise words, Lois. I've enjoyed your books, too! Thanks, Donnell, for letting us know a bit more about Lois.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Gay! Glad you enjoyed the interview--and my books!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This was fun. I'm hoping for a wedding in the next book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dru, Lois won't even tell me what she has up her... Anastasia's sleeve ;) We will see.

      Delete
  11. Very nice interview, Donnell. It flowed beautifully, as if the two of you are sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've been waiting for the weekend to savor this interview with two wonderful authors. It didn't disappoint. Lois, I'm sure you'll make lemonade out of your move to the hinterlands. Donnell, thanks again for an intriguing and insightful look into an especially creative author!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.