Thursday, November 21, 2019

Happiness…The Pursuit

Happiness…The Pursuit

By Cathy Perkins


With so much meanness floating around the US right now, I found myself falling into a funk. Rather than wallow in disgust with our elected leaders—and unfortunately, I have to use that term in spite of too many lacking leadership—I decided to focus on the good things in life. At the top of that list of good things is happiness.


When you think about happiness, it’s something we all want.

Defining happiness, however, is a bit tougher.

Google says happiness is “the state of being happy.”

Gee, that was helpful.

Beyond that, the definition seems to divide into two broad categories:

  • the immediate emotion: joy and pleasure
  • life satisfaction: an overall appreciation of one’s life as a whole

While I’m all for events or activities that bring joy and pleasure, I found I was drawn to that more subjective well-being. I find joy and pleasure in my family and my community as much as I do my personal pursuits of writing, art, and travel. What makes me happy doesn’t necessarily make another person happy. And given that I’ve been staring at a blank screen for two days, trying to figure out the one scene (that I skipped) needed to finish the first draft of my latest novel, writing is not making me happy right now.

Longer term, though, I believe happiness revolves around your purpose in life, the successes you’ve had, the satisfaction of who you are and what you’ve accomplished. I’m happy right now because I’m grateful for the life I have now. This isn’t because of something I’m doing at the moment, but rather because I work hard and have achieved things I’m proud of.

So, what about you? Do you feel life is good, meaningful and worthwhile?


An award-winning author of financial mysteries, Cathy Perkins writes twisting dark suspense and light amateur sleuth stories.  When not writing, she battles with the beavers over the pond height or heads out on another travel adventure. She lives in Washington with her husband, children, several dogs and the resident deer herd.  Visit her at http://cperkinswrites.com or on Facebook 

Sign up for her new release announcement newsletter in either place.

She's hard at work on sequel to The Body in the Beaver Pond, which was recently presented with the Claymore Award (at least after she finishes that last scene in Calling.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.