Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Hooray, it Rained and Snowed in the Mountains

For all of you who don't live in California, I'm sure you think I'm a bit nuts since the rest of the country has had their fill of rain and snow. But here in California, we're having drought conditions. No rain for about two months, and this is our rainy season. We seldom have any rain in the summer, so we count on the snow melt to keep our rivers flowing and the lakes for recreation and more importantly, irrigation, full. All of California is suffering--not good for all the crops. (Think citrus, grapes, peaches, plums etc. and strawberries, all kind of vegetables and nuts too. We also grow lots of cotton.)

Right now the river behind our house is barely moving--and people all along the way count on this water for irrigation too. Our lake that the river feeds into is not much more than a giant mud hole.

Some of the Indians have been doing rain dances and a group of Catholic Bishops have been getting together to pray for rain. We've been praying in church for snow in the mountains and rain in the valley in our church too.

So night before last when I woke up to heavy rain fall, I was thrilled. And in the morning it was still raining.
Even better, when I looked out the window, I could see snow on the mountains. It's a good start, but we need much, much more.

On email I saw a photo of snow that my grandson's wife displayed on Facebook--snow in Aspen where they live. It puts a lot of others' snowfall to shame. Too bad we can't get a small part of this.


So I'm going to keep praying for rain and snow in the mountains.

Marilyn aka F. M. Meredith

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn, we in Arizona share your sentiments. Much as I love our warm weather and huge number of sunny days, there has to be a balance. And rainy days are sooo good for cooking baking, reading, and writing! Nice post. I enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just have to have more snow in the mountains. And like you, I love rainy days.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.