Friday, July 20, 2012

No Pause Button

No Pause Button
By Laura Bradford

As most of you probably already know by now, Stiletto Gang Alum Susan McBride gave birth to the beautiful Miss Emily three weeks ago. Thanks to the internet, we were able to see her first picture and feel as if we were, in some way, part of this precious little girl's debut into the world.

Likewise, over the past few months, we've been given a window into Maggie's world and the very different stage she finds herself in where her daughter is concerned. For her, the first baby picture has morphed into the high school graduation photos and the unchartered waters of college orientation.

On a day to day basis, the Miss Emily years don't seem to go all that fast. But then, somehow, you're in Maggie's stage in the blink of an eye. The very misty blink of an eye, I might add.

Honestly, I couldn't have enjoyed my girls' baby years more than I did. I didn't tv-watch the days away. I didn't waste our moments together texting. Instead, I played with them...held them...treasured them...read to them. I was with them twenty-four/seven and loved every moment of that time. Yet even with all that time, it went fast. Too fast.

Suddenly, I find myself looking around thinking, how did that happen? How did Dear Daughter #1 get from that moment on the baby scale when the screen read: 6 pounds, 12 ounces, to where she is now--a high school student getting ready to enter her senior year?  How did Dear Daughter #2 go from running around in her little yellow Pooh Bear dress to having braces and going off to sleepover parties?

I was there.

I watched the changes happening before my eyes.

Yet somehow I'm still not sure how I got from Point A to Point B so quickly.

~Laura

6 comments:

  1. It's amazing how I think of when I held my 2-day old niece and now she's a junior in college. Time passes so fast but I continue to enjoy those in-betweens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that my kids are grown, I want to tell my friends with little ones that the time will go so much faster than they think it will. But, as you point out, when you're in the midst of it, it doesn't seem to move quickly, at all.

    It is a different kind of joy to see the fine adults my kids matured into and to talk with them about what they're doing in their lives. I have to remind myself not to mourn for the little ones gone and miss these wonderful moments that are right here with me now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're right, Laura! When caring for a newborn, sometimes the diaper changes and feedings seem endless so the days blur together. But I know I'm going to want to remember this time when Emily's all "ahhs" and big eyes and cute little hands and feet. I'm so glad Ed's taking lots of photos so we can look back on every moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It goes so fast, doesn't it, Dru?

    Linda, I don't look back all that often as the "now" is busy enough as it is. But when I see a baby like Emily and it seems like it was yesterday...but it wasn't, it makes me a little nostalgic, I guess.

    Susan, I'm so glad to hear you're taking so many photos. You'll be so grateful for that window into your time with her at this stage. {{Hugs!}}

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are writing of very moving moments. Those moments when we realize the children are their own little and then big person is almost a little shock. And then you see it in the grandchildren or nieces and nephews, Things change so quickly, and it's important for me to enjoy what we have in the moment. Especially with our kids.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Things do change quickly, Lil. I keep thinking I'll get used to it, but I don't.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.