Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Thanksgiving Past and Present

On Facebook a challenge was put out to tell something that we are thankful for everyday until Thanksgiving. That is not a hard task for me. I have so much to be thankful for, I've been truly blessed by having a loving husband, a large family, many friends, and a career that I love--actually there have been more than one of those.

Today, though, I'd like to write about Thanksgivings past and present.

When we were kids (my sis and I) growing up we always went to my grandparents house in South Pasadena for Thanksgiving along with my aunt, her husband, and their one child, a daughter. We were never allowed to wash or dry grandmother's good dishes, so we always headed outside. Only a block or two away from grandma's house were mansions. We loved to walk around and snoop, peeking inside gates and walking up long driveways to gaze at these huge houses. Once my sister and I played tennis (or tried to play) in someone's tennis court that was right inside the open gates. The people came home and smiled and waved at us. (If kids did something like that today, they would probably be hauled away to juvenile hall.)

After we had our first house--and several children--everyone came to our house for Thanksgiving. We set up tables in the living room in order to have enough room. I was always the cook.

Once we moved to the home we're in now, I still was the cook and we had all sorts of relatives who came for dinner, plus for many years we had the six women we cared for in our home. This house is bigger and we have a round table with a lazy Susan in the middle that hubby build. We can fit 16 around it and there's room to set up an extra table or two if need be.

Last year I had a break, we were invited to our youngest daughter's for Thanksgiving. Our youngest son and wife and their daughter went too. It was a good thing because I could never have cooked a big dinner because I came down with the flu and spent most of my time in bed.

This year we're having dinner at home again. Guests will be son, wife and grandaughter, my second oldest daughter and her husband, their daughter (another grandaughter) her hubby and three kids, and her other grandma who lives with them. I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't another guest or two, after all my grandson is a preacher--if he learns someone doesn't have a place to go for Thanksgiving he'll probably invite whoever it is to come to our place.

My daughter-in-law went with me to shop for the groceries needed and she'll do the mashed potatoes and a great salsa that she makes with lots and lots of fresh tomatoes, avocados, red onions, cilantro and a jalapeno. Doesn't sound very Thankgiving-ish, but believe me, it's delicious. Granddaughter has asked to make the green bean casserole and I'm quite happy to let her.

I don't like to bake so I ordered my pies from a new little place in town. I'll pick them up later today.

Believe me, I've figured out the easy ways to do everything. We serve buffet style, putting all the food on the kitchen counters. I even use paper plates so I don't have to spend time doing dishes after we're through eating.

Of course the TV will be turned to football games, but the kids and I will play our favorite card game, Estimation. That's sort of become a new Thanksgiving tradition.

And that will be Thanksgiving Present.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, hope you can all be surrounded by those you love as you eat your Thanksgiving meal.

Marilyn

5 comments:

  1. I'm thankful for your wonderful memories and writing. I also love how your home is open to all who need a place to be. And the menu sounds delicious.

    Enjoy the holiday along with your lovely family and friends -- and wonderful memories.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not that I'm not thankful for my family and friends, I'm just adding another type of thanks.
    I'm thankful I've found new and interesting authors and their blogs to entertain and inform me.
    Thanks Stiletto Gang for allowing a visitor insight into your worlds.
    Have a safe and Hppy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, homemade salsa on Thanksgiving sounds yummy to me! Hope you have a fab meal with everyone!

    Aw, Mason, that's so sweet! You have a very Happy Thanksgiving, too, and hang out with us anytime you like.

    Cheers,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn..what fond memories your post stirred up for me about thanksgiving. I hope your family has a great thanksgiving day and I know I have so much to be thankful for..we take so much for granted these days. Good health and God's love is two things we all have to be thankful for. susan L.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Marilyn,

    Hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving. I keep meaning to ask you about that card game - Estimation. My family and I play Mexican Trainwreck dominoes. Wonderful game for most ages, and lots more fun than straight dominoes. My favorite game with dominoes is "42" Kind of like Spades with cards. Anyway, I love games - cards, board games, etc. Sounds like your family gatherings are lots of fun!

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.