Monday, May 19, 2008

I ♥ Geeks

Sigh. I still crush on the geeky ones. I think pocket protectors can be sexy.

My newest heartthrob is Richard Wolffe, a Newsweek columnist and commentator on Countdown with Keith Olbermann (who I could crush on a little too). Wolffe is British and has a little lisp, but he's so damn smart, with a particularly dry English sense of humor, that I can't help but gush and blush a little when he appears on my screen.

Or how about Chuck Todd? Political director for MSNBC. Slightly overweight, weird goatee, same haircut that he had in his high school graduation picture, but with a brain that can crunch numbers faster than NASA engineers. But here's what makes him swoon-worthy. He has the ability to explain in words I can understand just what all those exit polls really mean (if anything at all). Plus he seems to have the patience of a saint. He has yet to reach through the screen and throttle Chris Matthews, the pundit who won't let anyone finish a sentence. See, that's what makes Wolffe, Olbermann, and Todd my homeboys. They know they're smarter, even if Matthews is louder.

I've always liked the ones who could walk, talk, and chew gum at the same time. Forget the World Wrestling Federation. I envision caged verbal matches. Let me see my boy Richard versus Bill O'Reilly. Let me tell you who'd be wearing that gold, championship belt.

It's why I'd choose Hugh Laurie over Brad Pitt; Han Solo over Luke Skywalker. I loved a short-lived tv show: Beauty and The Beast, and had no trouble figuring out why the heroine would opt for the sewers and the hairy monster over all the studs walking the streets above. For West Wing fans, I hearted Josh Lyman over Sam Seaborn, and always preferred Toby Ziegler, the dark, brooding, but balding speechwriter over all the pretty boys.

It's not an either-or proposition. You can get brains and good looks (ahem, I married one of those). But to quote that great philosopher Judge Judy, beauty fades, but dumb is forever.

6 comments:

  1. This exact subject came up during the Super Bowl--Tom Brady or Eli Manning? I say go for the Eli every time. Sure he's a little gangly, soft-spoken, not as pretty as Brady. But he's a keeper. How do I know? I can just tell. I'm also a huge Anderson Cooper fan, if we're talking talking heads. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anderson Cooper!
    be still my heart.
    And let's add Aaron Brown to that list. Remember him from CNN? Where IS he now?
    Kaye

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll happily add Anderson Cooper to my list of favorite geeks. As for Aaron Brown, I checked Wikipedia and discovered:
    "He is currently the anchor of the PBS documentary series Wide Angle, the host of public radio program The Aaron Brown Show and a professor at the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication."

    Thanks for commenting. Geeks rule!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you have all my beloved Geeks -Chuck Todd, Keith Olbermann. And, I like Anderson Cooper. Fortunately, my husband, who is a bit of a geek himself (although he'd prefer to think of himself as a jock), understands why I love those guys. And, as for a mystery series - I just love Charlie on NUMB3RS, but really like his dad, played by Judd Hirsch. Retired architect, back in college, widower. What's not to love?

    ReplyDelete
  5. sigh - Judd Hirsch has been a wonderful geek over the years.

    I also heart Sean Connery as the professor in Indiana Jones 3, as well as the Russian captain in "The Hunt for the Red October."

    Geeks forever!

    Thanks for writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ladies, ladies! How about the handsome, brilliant, cultured, articulate and somewhat exotic . . . Fareed Zakaria? I am crazy about him. I wouldn't turn down Jon Stewart, either. Both these men are also really, really funny.

    I'll let you know when each of them makes me their best offer. I'm sure it's any year now.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.