Tuesday, October 1, 2013

How Do You Decide Which Mystery or Writing Conference to Go to?

Going to mystery cons are so much fun--and I used to go to a lot more than what I do now. The main reason I've cut down is I no longer enjoy flying. I've always had to change planes at least twice and often three times. Once I had to change concourses which meant a bus ride and going through security again.

Back when it was easier, I went to Bouchercon and Left Coast Crime no matter where they were (well in the U.S. anyway.)  After a while it was like going to a reunion because of meeting old friends--some of whom I met at previous cons.

One of my favorite cons was Mayhem in the Midlands which is no longer in existence. Too bad, Omaha was a great place to visit. And that was part of the whole experience, because all these cons are held in different cities, there is the opportunity to see places you'd never get to otherwise.

I went once to Love is Murder and loved it. Being a California native, what I didn't love was flying in right in front of a snow storm--though loved the snow once we got settled in the hotel. Also loved meeting new people, and spending time with old friends too.

I've been twice to Malice Domestic--loved it, but it's just too far away.

Left Coast Crime is another favorite--and I will be going to the one in Monterey CA--that's drivable for me. Whether or not I'll go to Bouchercon (also in CA--Long Beach) hasn't been decided. Driving in L.A. traffic is another things I've given up.

One writing conference I go to every year is Public Safety Writers Association's conference. The participants are made up of men and women in many public safety field, active and retired: police, FBI, dispatchers, firefighters, the Air Force equivalent of NCIS, on police psychiatrist, most of whom write mysteries or want to write mysteries and a small contingent of mystery writers who have figured out this is a good place to make friends with people who know how it really is. A small conference, it's easy to really network.This one is always in Las Vegas in July--another I can drive to, and the month it's held makes the hotel price cheap.

Epic is a conference for e-published authors and publishers. I've been to most of them. This is small and moves around each year. Whether I go to anymore will depend upon where they are

The big question is why go? First off, it's fun. Mystery readers attend Bouchercon and Left Coast Crime. An author can meet readers with a little effort (means speaking to strangers), being friendly, and handing out business cards or bookmarks. I've met several readers this way who have since become my fans..

Because most of us are mystery fans too, it's great to see your favorite authors and tell them how much you love their books.

What Mystery or Writing Conferences do you go to, and why?

Marilyn

Coming very, very soon. #13 in the Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery series!

1 comment:

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.