Thursday, February 28, 2013

Girl Scout Cookies and Ducks who Refuse to Die

by Maria Geraci

With a title like that I'm sure you're going WHAT? Currently, I'm in full writer mode frantically typing away on a manuscript that was supposed to be due to my agent a few weeks ago. Granted, that deadline was one of my own making, but still. I hate getting behind on my writing but this winter has seen the death of my computer along with numerous other set backs including a lot of extra time spent on the day job (labor and delivery nurse) that just can't be helped.

But the good news is that I am now on a roll. With the help of a genius husband who it seems can fix anything computer related (love my nerdy engineer!), the help of an old story, and a few boxes of Tagalongs I'm back in the proverbial saddle again.

Hemingway had his liquor. Me, I have my Girl Scout cookies. It seems there is nothing like a good old fashioned peanut butter and chocolate sugar high to keep my butt firmly planted in the chair in front of my desk. Of course, soon, my butt might not fit in said chair, but that's another story. Inspiration is not something to be taken lightly. No matter where it comes from.

Speaking of which, my current wip has taken a little inspiration from a real life duck tale I blogged about a few years ago.

A duck (later nicknamed Perky) who had been shot by a hunter and presumed dead was found alive by the hunter's wife in their refrigerator. The duck had been in the fridge for 2 days when the wife heard something strange, opened the fridge, and found the duck staring at her (I think I would have lost my Girl Scout cookies at this point). She took the duck to an emergency vet where the duck had surgery and was later adopted by the local wildlife sanctuary, giving Perky a happily ever after.

For some reason, I've always been intrigued by this story. Maybe it's the sheer improbability of it all. Or the quirkiness of it. I'm not sure. All I will say is that whenever I think my story is dead in the water, something miraculously brings it back to life. Sort of like Perky. It just doesn't want to die.

The point of all being is that when Inspiration comes, in no matter what form, jump on it.

4 comments:

  1. Maria, take that inspiration where you find it. I've often found that the combination of sugar and chocolate (and nuts) has been what I needed to keep myself plugging away.

    I LOVE Perky's story! Thank you for that. When things start looking dead or hopeless, I'm going to remind myself of Perky. And hurray for your dead story's resurrection!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to thank you ----today of all days knowing that there may be life after you have been shot down and put in a cold harsh place gives me hope. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Maria,

    I'm glad your writing groove is back in good order! I can't wait to see what you come up with next! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I prefer Camp Fire candy-because I was a Camp Fire leader for 10 years. Girl Scout cookies are great too, of course. The duck story was amazing.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.