Friday, May 8, 2015

Memories of Malice Domestic 27


Memories of Malice Domestic 27 by Debra H. Goldstein

Not enough sleep as toastmaster Toni L.P. Kelner urged all of us to get during the weekend, but there definitely was plenty of fun, friends, and sharing of stories, beverages, and new experiences at the 2015 Malice Domestic Convention that now is in the history books.  Held in Bethesda, Maryland, Malice is billed as a fan conference.

Since I began attending in 2012 when I was on the Academic Panel talking about my mystery on the University of Michigan’s campus, Maze in Blue, I haven’t been certain who the fans really are because I think the writers and the non-writers equally qualify as fans.  I know I am thrilled when the two non-writers who met me at the 2012 New Authors Breakfast make it a point to find me and tell me that they have followed my career this year (For their loyalty, they both will receive free copies of my new book, Should Have Played Poker: a Carrie Martin and the Mah Jongg Players Mystery, when it is published by Five Star in February 2016). But, the truth is that I am personally excited to meet writers I have held in esteem for years and newbies that I can’t wait to follow. See if you recognize a few of both in these pictures that capture some of my Malice Domestic 27 memories:

2015 Academic Mystery Panel - Susan Van Kirk, Lori Rader-Day, DHG, Triss Stein, Neil Plakcy

Jungle Red Writers Game with Hallie Ephron, Rhys Bowen, Charlaine Harris, Roberta Isleib/Lucy Burdette, Hank Phillippi Ryan and the game players including DHG








Picture One:  Nikki Bonnani, Susan Van Kirk, Marilyn Levinson, Grace Topping
Picture Two: DHG, Catriona McPherson, Barb Goffman
Picture Three:  Maggie Toussaint, Nancy J. Cohen, Maggie King, DHG
Picture Four:  Terrie Fairley Moran & DHG
Picture Five: Kathy Waller & DHG
Picture Six:  Edith Maxwell & DHG
Picture Seven:  Leslie Budewitz & DHG

Look at my grin --- who says writers aren't fans?  Do you admit it, too?

5 comments:

  1. I've been to Malice twice and loved it both times. Definitely a worthwhile conference for both fans and authors. Since it's 3000 miles from where I live, chances of my going again are slim, no longer thrilled about flying. Thanks for the report and all the great photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well,we'll simply have to find a conference near you and bring all the fans and authors in your direction :). You're right. It is a most worthwhile conference. Appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Ditto -- Congrats again on your Agatha Award (Best First Novel!!!)

      Delete
  3. Malice has always been my favorite conference. Such a good atmosphere, so welcoming.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.