Thursday, February 19, 2015

The Road To a Book

By Laura Bradford

There is nothing more exciting (and nerve racking), author wise, than knowing a book you've written is just days away from being in your readers' hands.

Exciting, because you can't wait to share your story with your fans...

Nerve racking, because you want them to like it, but won't know for sure until it's officially out in the wild.

That's where I'm at right now. SUSPENDERED SENTENCE (the 4th book in my Amish Mysteries) is just days away from its release.

Just 12 days, in fact.

So I'd like to tell you a little bit about the book and share a little behind-the-scenes with you.

First, the book: 
  
Nineteen years ago, Sadie Lehman simply up and disappeared during her Rumspringa in the Amish community of Heavenly, Pennsylvania. Led to believe her daughter had gotten caught up in the English world by the girl’s peers, Waneta clung to hope that one day Sadie would come back.

Yet while Waneta prayed for a reunion, Sadie’s friends hoped for something very different—that Sadie’s body would never be discovered.
 
This book came to me just like that (almost verbatim). And the next thing I knew, I had to know why they didn't tell and what they were hiding. It was a fun (and sometimes sad) book to write, but I feel closer than ever to my characters because of this book.
 
I like the way that happens with each new book. It's like I've laughed and cried with these folks so much that they are real. Their hopes, their fears, their joys...they're all real.
 
I suspect that's why, a few months ago, I became determined to make a map of my Heavenly--the town in which my books take place. So it could be real for my readers, too.
 
If you have a moment, visit the "Extras" page on my website for a behind the scenes look at the world that's become so real to me. You can click on various buildings for a more detailed (visual) look and a written description. I had a blast putting this together.
 
If you do, let me know what you think.
 
~Laura

1 comment:

  1. I so love stellitos simply because it adds confidence and it is more classy and elegant. Stellitos are the best. Thank you for inspiring me and I hope that you could inspire more readers./ I am looking forward to see more of your output. God bless and have a good day!

    triciajoy.com

    www.triciajoy.com

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.