Tuesday, August 3, 2021

I can FLY!

By Kathryn Lane

Peter Pan teaching his friends to FLY!

Peter Pan is a child who never grows up because he has an ultimate belief in make-believe. Make-believe is similar to imagination.

For those who do grow up, imagination provides the ability to be creative.

The marvelous human mind can combine imagination with the disciplines of mathematics, physics, and countless other subjects, thus developing new technologies. Imagination combined with drawing, color theory, and perspective can express incomparable beauty through art and sculpture. Imagination and the study of language and writing can create masterpieces of literature.

Yet it all starts as a belief that the impossible is possible.

The recent flights to the edge of space, first by Branson and quickly followed by Bezos, made me reflect on the art of flying. The Wright Brothers invented the first viable flying machine in 1903, after years of research and experiments.

Wright Brothers' Plane

The Kitty Hawk “flight” occurred a mere 118 years ago. In that short time span, the art of flight has advanced so much that countless astronauts have flown to space, orbited the earth in their spacecraft, worked at the international space station, and a select group have walked on the moon.

Model of Leonardo Da Vinci Flying Machine

The idea of man-powered flying captured the imagination of Leonardo DaVinci, artist and sculptor, four hundred years before the Wright Brothers success. The modern helicopter is similar to Leonardo’s Ornithopter design from the 1480s.

Branson and Bezos flew to the edge of space. Each man had an ultimate belief in his flying adventure. Each one has a dream of creating space tourism, albeit rich tourists, to experience a split-second glimpse at our earth from a spot close to the Karman line, the imaginary boundary that separates earth’s atmosphere from the edge of space.

Both men have been seriously criticized for their expensive adventures, yet they must have felt like Peter Pan. They could FLY!

In another decade or so, spacecraft will probably be taking people beyond the Karman line for a brief spin into outer space and maybe even a suborbital flight around earth. Maybe it will become a real tourist boom and prices will be affordable to more people.

As a writer, I don’t doubt stories and novels of various genres will involve more short trips into space. Space travel will no longer be exclusive to science fiction.

As for my own travel plans, planet earth still offers a lot of enticing places to visit.

If someone offered you a ticket on the next trip to the Karman line, would you take it?

***

Kathryn’s mysteries – The Nikki Garcia Thriller series:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/bookseries/B08C7V2675/ref=dp_st_1942428944

Kathryn’s short story collection – Backyard Volcano and Other Mysteries of the Heart

https://www.amazon.com/Backyard-Volcano-Other-Mysteries-Heart/dp/1943306044

 All available on Amazon.

Kathryn Lane started out as a starving artist. To earn a living, she became a certified public accountant and embarked on a career in international finance with a major multinational corporation. After two decades, she left the corporate world to plunge into writing mystery and suspense thrillers. In her stories, Kathryn draws deeply from her Mexican background as well as her travels in over ninety countries.

https://www.kathryn-lane.com

https://www.facebook.com/kathrynlanewriter/


Photo Credits:Peter Pan Flight by HarshLight is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Wright Brothers’ Plane in the Kill Devil Hills, Kitty Hawk, North Carolina by Jared Enos is licensed under CC BY-NC-ND 2.0

Da Vinci flying machine by mahjqa is licensed under CC BY-NC-SA 2.0

Book Covers - Bobbye Marrs

8 comments:

  1. Right now, I think I'll simply fly in my mind or like you, on earth. Though I will admit that the first time I saw Peter Pan, I was somewhere around two or three... my mother turned to find me leaping from the couch. She caught em before I crash landed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Debra, I did something similar after seeing Peter Pan, but I was about five and took a nasty landing off a fence. After that I left flying to the birds!

      Delete
  2. I share your sense of wonder, and found the two billionaires' adventures riveting, especially afterwards hearing Bezos's crew mate, the irrepressible 82-year-old astronaut Wally Funk, one the all time Great Dames.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ate it up like crazy since I've always marveled at the thought of space travel. And yes, Wally was delightful. I loved it when she said she never played with dolls, but instead played outside.

      Delete
  3. I might accept the invitation to the Karman line, Kathryn. The most exciting flight I've ever taken was in a tiny Lear jet, which reached 10,000 feet so fast I'd hardly had time to buckle my seat belt. Smooth ride, and thrilling. Although I'm not sure our current space cowboys have mastered the "smooth" part yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Gay. Like Wally Funk, you'd love it! I don't expect to receive an invitation, so I doubt I'll ever make it.

      Delete
  4. I had an opportunity to apply to be the teacher who went into space on the Challenger (when Christa McAuliffe was chosen). I seriously considered applying, but in the last moment chickened out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cannot even imagine how you felt when you saw the Challenger explode. The images I saw on TV haunted me for months. Thanks for sharing that information.

      Delete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.