Monday, May 4, 2020

My Novella Has A Cover

By Debra Sennefelder

Last month I shared how I came to create Kelly Quinn, the main character in my Resale Boutique Mystery series. At the time I was reading the proof pages of Kelly's upcoming novella, WHAT TO WEAR TO A GRAVEYARD and this month I have the cover!


How the cover comes to be is team effort between me and my editor. I provide him with my ideas for the cover. For my Food Blogger Mystery series we tend to depict a scene from the book on the cover. For the Resale Boutique Mystery series, we usually select an outfit as the primary focus of the cover and the cover of the novella is a combination of both types of covers. It shows the scene where Kelly finds the pup and the boots that were definitely a hindrance to her walking around the graveyard. 

This Resale Boutique mystery is set at Halloween and Kelly Quinn finds herself drawn into a dognapping turned murder while she's scouting a location for a photo shoot to boost her boutique's online presence. There she discovers the missing pup, who has a hefty reward thanks to his socialite owner.

Kelly’s looking forward to collecting the check—until she makes a gruesome discovery in an abandoned farmhouse: The dog’s owner, stabbed through the heart.

Kelly learns that hidden in the dead woman’s past is a secret that could be the motive for the murder. And as a Halloween party gets started, even a menacing clown and a threatening bearded lady can’t keep Kelly from trick or treating for the truth—even if it means her last dance . . .

The novella, which will be released only in ebook format at this time, is available for preorder and will be released on Sept.8, 2020 (retails sites say 9/15 because they haven't been updated with the new date).

Writing this story combined so many of the things I love - fashion, Halloween, autumn and a pup named Billy. I decided to base the dog in the story on my beloved Billy, who passed away last September at 14. But he'll live forever in our hearts and in this story. Love how he's peeking out from behind the gravestone.


I admit, I'm a sucker for a cover and I've made many, many purchases based solely on the cover. What about you? Will an amazing cover get you to make an impulse buy?

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.