Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Making Me Think About My Priorities

Both Susan's last post and the following one about Malice made me mull over what I'm doing.
Sometimes I think I'm a bit crazy to spend so much time writing, promoting, traveling etc. in order to further my career as a writer. I'm such small potatoes compared to so many big-names, is it all worth it?

Yes, I do have a small following of fans. This past Saturday I spoke to the San Joaquin chapter of Sisters in Crime (I was one of the founders). We had a much smaller crowd than the week before when the reformed gangster Henry Hill (Good Fella fame) appeared along with Denny Griffin, a retired cop who writes about gangsters and crime in Las Vegas.

The ones who came though, came to hear me. They'd asked that I answer questions--some of which they'd given me ahead of time. Of course I did and talked about my two latest books, No Sanctuary and Kindred Spirits. After I was done, those who so desired bought books. I sold 19--more than the people in attendance because some bought a copy of each book.

When we got home I did a few writing chores then we had to go to a spaghetti dinner put on by our youth group. Food was great and the kids worked their fanny's off. They're hoping to get enough money to go to camp this summer. Camp is expensive and most of our kids come from poor families.

I have other priorities--hubby is # one. I took him with me to the SinC meeting and he took care of the selling. He's also very popular and has his own fans. Good for his ego.

I teach Sunday School and attend church every Sunday that I'm not off somewhere. Last week our eldest daughter and hubby visited and I did no writing. We just had fun together. They're both retired and travel in a big motor home and love it.

So where are my priorities? My family has to come first, then the writing and all that's related to it. Most of my friends are other authors who I see at various functions.

Not sure any of that helped. I do know that I love to write and I have fun promoting, so I guess that counts for something.

Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith
http://fictionforyou.com/

3 comments:

  1. As always, you have your priorities straight -- and your blogs make us keep our focus on the important stuff too. Your family sounds wonderful -- and you've got a wonderful career as well.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do have a great family, but believe me, because there are so many of them there are lots of problems that come up along the way. We are all far from perfect. I do a lot of praying.

    Marilyn a.k.a. F. M. Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, the important thing is doing what you love without neglecting yourself and the people you love. Sounds like you've made it a priority to take care of all of the above!

    I think it's an individual thing that we all have to figure out for ourselves. When I was single, it was much easier to spend a lot of time promoting. Once I met Ed, it was harder to pack my bags and go. And the breast cancer shifted priorities for me yet again. (Plus, I had my agents telling me point-blank that I'd built a great foundation with all the promotion I've already done and it was time to stay home and write, write, write!) So I'm doing that and enjoying time with my husband...and my family and friends in town, who didn't see me much all those years I was forever traveling.

    Cheers,
    Susan
    http://SusanMcBride.com

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.