Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Report on My Book Launch and One More Mistake

I'm back from Crescent City and the most successful book launch I've ever had, this was for Kindred Spirits, the latest in my Deputy Tempe Crabtree series.

Before the event, Junie Mattice, the Tolowa woman who inspired the story and two characters, stopped by to see me at the home where I was staying. We had a great reunion and I gave her a copy of the book, explaining about the mistake of the wrong name on the dedication. She laughed and thought it was funny because she'd given me that name. She took the book and went right home and read it.

We had two luncheons, one right after the other 11:30 and 1:30 at a historic B and B, the Ana Wulf House. Those who came paid $25 and received a copy of the book.

Junie was right there with me to autograph books. She told me she loved it, but she also found another mistake. That one I'm not telling anyone about and will wait and see how many will let me know. It's another error with a name.

After the luncheon, the first setting, I spoke about the book and how I met Junie and what she'd told me about her people. Then Junie talked about being Tolowa and some of the history and near genocide of her people. One of her daughters came too and was extremely thrilled for her mom.

The second setting we did much of the same but one of Junie's aunts and two sisters came. One of the sisters was a Tolowa storyteller and she honored us with two stories.

Both settings were full--and I was paid for the books and extra to help with the gas.

On Thursday evening Junie and I did a free repeat performance (if you can call it that) at the Crescent City Library to another full house. Sold more books and Junie sold some of her excellent art work. I also donated a complete set of my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries to the library and was so glad I did because they have no budget for book.

It was a great week even if it did take us two days to get there and two days to get home.

Next up, I'm the keynote speaker for the Prose in the Park Writers' Conference in Taylorville IL. (Flying to that one.)

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.