Wednesday, August 5, 2020

Rejection - Pain or Gain?

Rejection – Pain or Gain?

Writers tend to be over-the-moon when they receive acceptances, but how do they feel when the response is a rejection? Here’s what members of the Stiletto Gang say:

Debra H. Goldstein – In the beginning of my writing career, I’d go into a blue funk for hours or days and wasn’t the nicest person to be around. Now, I go into a milder state of depression but immediately start thinking of how I can improve the piece and what other market it might be right for. In both instances where my books, which were intended to be the first in a series were orphaned, I decided they were standalones and started writing something else.

Juliana Aragon Fatula - Being orphaned, literally took me a few years to adjust to being the grown up and not the kid. I struggled with rejection in the same way I dealt with auditions when I was acting. I looked at it as an experience, a learning guide to grow from and never expected to get cast, published, etc. so I would be thrilled if I was accepted and not destroyed if rejected. I coped.

Dru Ann Love - I just move on when an author does not respond to a musing I personally sent them. Let’s me know not to do a musing for them again.

Debra Sennefelder - Rejection is so hard. I’ve learned that it’s okay to feel all the feelings that rejection brings, so I give myself a short period of time to deal with the rejection. Then I analyze what happened and see what I can learn from it.

Sparkle Abbey:

Mary Lee Ashford - I think for me all the years of rejections before selling helped me toughen up. It's hard, no doubt. But it happens and you have to take a deep breath, figure out what's next and keep moving forward.   

Anita Carter - I won’t lie or play it down, rejection always hurts. That said, I try to just take a day or less to work through whatever feelings I’m experiencing and then push forward.

Paula Gail Benson - Much better in hindsight than when they occur. Rejection always stings, but usually my stories that have been rejected end up in a better place than the one where I originally submitted them.

 

Lynn McPherson - Rejections are tough but if I like what I've written it usually doesn't faze me too long.


Shari Randall - My reaction to rejection is to keep pitching. I channel the mantra from Galaxy Quest, Never give up, never surrender! Then I cry into a gallon of chocolate chocolate chip ice cream and a big ol glass of red wine.

Kathryn Lane - Not good with rejections, but I’m learning to take them more philosophically.

T.K. Thorne - I have a stuffed legal folder of rejections. My way of handling the negative emotions that go along with them are to immediately get to work on something. But now that I am published with several books out, my skin is much thicker, and I quit feeling that a rejection is a commentary on my talent or ability.  Most of the time….

Robin Hillyer-Miles - As a graphic designer for years, I've learned that sometimes rejections mean you need to take a fresh look at your work. Maybe even put it away for a bit so you aren't so attached.

Julie Mulhern - Rejection is part of the job. And it's not personal. I don't like sushi. You could take me to the best sushi restaurant on the planet, and I wouldn't like the food. That preference has nothing to do with the quality of the raw fish (yuck). Not everyone will like what I write. It has nothing to do with the quality of my books. If someone likes angst-ridden, steamy romance, they won't like Ellison or Poppy. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


2 comments:

  1. I certainly understand the pain. How wonderful to you all for moving beyond it and pressing on until you get a yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you, Mark. Part of being a writer is learning to dance at the yes answers and move on from rejections.

      Delete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.