Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Hours in the day....

by: Joelle Charbonneau

I’m not sure who decreed that there shall only be twenty-four hours in a day, but at the moment I need to have a serious talk with that person. I mean…there just aren’t enough hours in the day to do everything that needs to be done. Housework. Cooking. Shopping. Errands. Pre-school field trips. Playground adventures. Writing. Lessons to teach. Reading. Family stuff. Friends. Etc… Etc… Etc…

This week I’ve felt the lack of time more keenly than any other. With one set of type set pages needing to be proofed and two other manuscript needing copyedited along with lots of writing to be done, blogs to write, a tot to race after, a holiday to shop for and enjoy family during…..there just isn’t enough time in the day.

What’s a girl to do?

During weeks like these I find myself wishing that I was addicted to chocolate. Instead, I find that I keep reminding myself to breathe. In. Out. This is where my singing training comes in handy. If there is one thing I am good at it is deep breathing. Then I instruct myself to remember that I can only do one thing at a time. Like many of the Stilettos, I have taken to making lists and I am telling myself that if I cross one thing off the list in a day the day is a success.

So today, I mail back the copy edits to THE TESTING. I will cross that item off my list and call today a success.

How about you? What item on your list have you or are you planning on crossing off today? Let’s celebrate these victories together!

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Joelle, I feel your pain! Having been out the better part of the last week and a half due to the gall bladder surgery--and simultaneously having my short-term memory erased, apparently--I'm digging back in today to see what's what. I'm not a stay-up-all-night kind of person so that doesn't help me...it's getting everything done in an 8-10 hour workday that is a challenge. If you figure it out, give me a call. Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. My to do item today? Write my blog for tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joelle, I totally sympathise! I often wonder when you ever have time for sleeping! Think back a couple of years and just think about how much you have achieved and how wonderful your little chap is as he grows up. You also have time to support and encourage other people so you can tick that off your list too!
    I'm enjoying the second week of spring break but next week all the biz starts again! I will remember your tip about breathing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well I'm almost done with rereading and making revision notes on Steamed to Death(working title), the second in my Gourmet De-lite series. I should easily finish by tonight. Also..you mentioned housework? What's that? I've heard the term. My theory is there is a finite amount of dust that is going to settle so why keep wiping it away?

    ReplyDelete
  5. love your blog and waiting for your more posts !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Late to the post, but my list today is simple: WRITE!!! And work on line edits for a different book.

    I. Will. Do. It.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always make lists--wish WRITE was the only thing I had to put down. Sure is fun to cross stuff off though.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.