Evelyn David interviews Christine Verstraete, author of Searching for a Starry Night.
1. Who is Christine Verstraete?
A kid who never grew up! Seriously, I enjoy creating, whether in writing or by doing a hobby like miniatures. I have more ideas in both areas than time to do them!
2. Tell us about Searching for a Starry Night? Do you own a Dachshund? If not why choose a Dachshund for a character in Searching for a Starry Night?
I confess that my dog is much bigger, a Malamute mix. I think Dachshunds are cute, funny dogs. I was doing a newspaper story on “Wiener Dog Races” and I got such a kick out of them. I fell in love with them. So Petey the Dachshund in my book just kind of came to me.
3. Why do you write? As opposed to some other creative venture? What was the event that spurred you to write your first piece of fiction?
I “have” to write. It’s a way to make money and a creative release. Of course, if someone paid me enough to make dollhouses or miniatures for a living, maybe I’d consider it! I don’t think there’s one specific event that drew me to fiction. I’d tried writing short stories a while ago, but it took me awhile to feel comfortable with fiction writing and to “unlearn” some of my nonfiction writing style. It’s been fun to come up with an idea and see where it leads instead of having to write the facts, just the facts.
4. What books do you like to read? Do your reading preferences affect your writing style?
I’m a reading chameleon. I like historical fiction, mystery, suspense, and horror. I’m a Stephen King and Dean Koontz fan and have been reading a lot of Debbie Macomber lately for a change. I love mysteries with humor, too.
5. If you could meet any writer in the world – living or dead – who would it be and why?
Wow, do I have to pick just one? Ha! Hmm, I’d love to meet Stephen King or Dean Koontz and talk shop. In the past, I think Laura Ingalls Wilder would be interesting to meet. A girl with spunk. Or Louisa MayAlcott. I loved “Little Women.”
6. Your book is just out – do you have any personal appearances scheduled? Where? When?
I will list events at my website at http://cverstraete.com/. I also add fun new collections and items at my blog Candid Canine, http://candidcanine.blogspot.com/ You can also find news and an appearance schedule at http://myspace.com/cverstraete , click news. Check my blog and website for a special contest open to July 4, 2008.
7. What's up next for Chris? Are you working on another book?
I am always working! I am trying to finish an adult mystery and have a young adult fantasy-mystery I’d like to outline and work on. That’s the plant for now, anyway. I may have a few more ideas that hook me first.
8. What's your favorite pair of shoes? Why?
Ha, great question! If I had to pick, it would be sandals - definitely platforms. Being just near five –foot tall, I was ecstatic when they came back with platform and wedge shoes. And they’re still in style. I already saw a couple new pairs I have to get! And even if they go “out” of style again, I don’t care!