Monday, September 16, 2013

Missing



By Evelyn David

My muse has taken a hike – like in the Himalayas. I've lost my MoJo, my ability to create murder and mayhem at will. It's not that I can't think of delightful ways to kill off villains – in real life and fictionally. But it seems I have misplaced my ability to create a coherent storyline, one that won't leave readers scratching their heads and wondering what the heck happened, if anything.

In my defense, I've got lots of good reasons why the muse went missing. Real life intruded and the poor thing probably felt neglected. No attention was paid to the tiny bursts of inspiration she'd proffer. "Hey, how about a story about a neighbor who was an Elvis impersonator. Or "How about a murder victim who mumbled 'Camelot' with his last breath." But after I'd ignored enough hints about getting back to work, I suspect my muse headed off to someone else who would appreciate a clever inspiration of whodunnit. Heck, she's probably feasting at Stephen King's house right this minute – and I don't blame her a bit.

The Master of Terror understands. Stephen King once said that the "scariest moment is always just before you start [writing]. After that, things can only get better." But of course, that assumes you can start. Sue Grafton, mistress of the alphabetic mysteries, was blunt: "I carry a notebook with me everywhere. But that's only the first step. Ideas are easy. It's the execution of ideas that really separates the sheep from the goats."

And Mary Heaton Vorse, activist and journalist, was even blunter: "The art of writing is the art of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair."

So I'm putting out the welcome mat, baking some chocolate chip cookies (for the muse and me), and following the immortal advice of James Thurber: "Don't get it right, just get it written."

Break's over; time to get back to work.

Marian, the Northern half of Evelyn David

 
---------------
 
Evelyn David's Mysteries 

Audible    iTunes


Audible    iTunes


 
Brianna Sullivan Mysteries - e-book series
I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Dog Days of Summer in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Holiday Spirit(s) of Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Undying Love in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
A Haunting in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Lottawatah Twister - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Missing in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Good Grief in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Summer Lightning in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Lottawatah Fireworks - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

The Ghosts of Lottawatah - trade paperback collection of the Brianna e-books
Book 1 - I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (includes the first four Brianna e-books)
Book 2 - A Haunting in Lottawatah (includes the 5th, 6th, and 7th Brianna e-books)
Book 3 - Lottawatah Fireworks (includes the 8th, 9th, and 10th Brianna e-books)


Sullivan Investigations Mystery series
Murder Off the Books Kindle - Nook - Smashwords - Trade Paperback
Murder Takes the Cake Kindle - Nook - Smashwords - Trade Paperback 
Murder Doubles Back Kindle - Nook - Smashwords - Trade Paperback
Riley Come Home (short story)- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Moonlighting at the Mall (short story) - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords



Zoned for Murder - stand-alone mystery
Kindle
Nook
Smashwords
Trade Paperback


Romances
Love Lessons - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

1 comment:

  1. Good, Miriam! We need those wonderful books to keep coming!

    I do know what you mean. I've spent months writing the next Skeet Bannion mystery, traveling to promote my newest, and teaching classes and doing freelance jobs. The suspense novel I had started has languished. I've got a huge traveling burst for the rest of September, and then I've promised myself that October is my time with my muse. I do hope she'll come back to me, as well. Best of luck in wooing yours back home.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.