Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The Super Bowl and Me


First, let me tell you I am not a football fan, at least not professional football. I love high school football games if some kid I know is playing. We went to all of our grandson's games when he lived with us and loved cheering him and his team on.

I certainly wasn't looking forward to Sunday's Super Bowl because I'd been asked to speak to the Tulare County Historical Society after their annual meeting which began at 2 p.m. I didn't expect many would be there--and those who came I figured would bail out after the meeting part.

Well, I was wrong on both counts! The meeting room was full. Though the meeting itself was concise and over in about a half hour, no one left.

What a great audience. They all listened intently, laughed in the proper places, and asked a lot of great questions. Since it was the Tulare County Historical Society I talked about my Deputy Tempe Crabtree mysteries since they are set in the county--though in a fictional place. In the books I use a lot of the actual history of the area, again fictionalized. I write about the Giant Sequoias, the nearby Indian Reservation and people who live around recognize what I've borrowed for my books.

And to make it even nicer, two of my biggest fans were there and raved about my books.

Afterward, many came to my table at the back of the room to ask me more questions and buy books.

On our way home we stopped at our favorite Thai restaurant. We were the only customers (though several came in for take-out) and we watched the Super Bowl while we ate. When we left it was half-time--but we didn't turn it back on when we got home.

It was a great day, far better than I expected.

Marilyn
http://fictionforyou.com

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great afternoon! Bravo!!

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you have to take into account we're on the Pacific Standard Time so the game was on later out here.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Go, Marilyn! Talking books on SuperBowl Sunday! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad it went well for you! Books are much more important than football!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.