Thursday, February 24, 2011

Oscars 2011


by Maria Geraci

This Sunday night is the 83rd annual Academy Awards which means I'll be sitting in front of my television with a bag of popcorn in one hand and a diet coke in another. Or maybe instead of the diet coke it'll be a glass of red wine. I'm not sure yet. It'll depend on my mood.

I'm not a celebrity hound nor do I watch the gazillions of award shows that surround the "big show" but I'm a sucker for the Oscars and have been ever since I was a little girl. Maybe it's because I'm a frustrated actress or because I love movies. Or maybe it's because I love the gowns. And the shoes. And the hair styles. And the speeches. And the big musical numbers. Or a combination of all the above.

This year's show will be hosted by Anne Hathaway and James Franco. Have you seen the commercials? They're really playing it up. Young Hollywood does the Oscars. I think it's going to be great. My favorite movies this year were Toy Story 3 (I cried like a baby!), The Social Network, and The King's Speech (which I think should win Best Picture). I absolutely loved Colin Firth and hope he wins his first Oscar. The Brits in my opinion, always give the best speeches and I'm sure he won't disappoint.

Over the years I've collected my personal best and worst moments.



Best Oscar Speech: Roberto Benigni for Life is Beautiful (in which he jumped on top of his seat when his name was called) also BEST OSCAR MOMENT EVER!
Worse Oscar Speech: Julia Roberts for Erin Brokavich (in which she failed to mention the real Erin Brokavich and "ordered" the orchestra to stop playing when they tried to interrupt her because she'd gone over her time limit).

Best Host: Billy Crystal
Worst Host: David Letterman (Oprah Uma, anyone?)

Best Dress: Anything Penelope Cruz, Nicole Kidman or Halle Berry wear
Worst Dress: Anything Diane Keaton wears

Best Jokes: Billy Crystal, Steve Martin. Whoopi Goldberg
Worst Jokes: David Letterman

Best Star for the camera to "catch" in the audience: Jack Nickolson

Best Star in a tux: Hugh Jackman (drool)

Strangest/Funniest Moment: Jack Palance doing his one armed push ups and saying that he poops turds bigger than Billy Crystal (probably not his exact words, but you get the drift).

Most Awkward Moment: Jennifer Aniston presenting at the podium with Brangelina sitting in the front row.

How about you? Are you going to watch? What are some of your favorite or worst moments?

11 comments:

  1. I agree Maria. I hope that the King's Speech should do a clean sweep. I'm really hoping that Colin Firth wins for Best Actor and I'd like to see Helena Bonham Carter win for Best Supporting Actress. She's an incredible, if somewhat crazy-dressing, actress and plays such a range of roles -- demure Queen, deranged Bellatrix Lestrange in the Harry Potter movies.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Helena BC did a great job as the Queen Mum, and I also thought Geoffrey Rush was awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what Helena wears.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maria, what a fun post! Oh, I love the Oscars, too. And I'm not a celebrity hound either, but who can resist seeing everyone all dolled up and watching the faces when the winners' names are called? I hope Colin Firth and "The King's Speech" win big, too! Loved it! I'm going to see "Black Swan" today. I'm anxious to see Natalie Portman after her Golden Globe and SAG wins. And I want to see "The Social Network," too, one of these days (probably on DVD!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a student from the Short Attention Span Theatre school, I usually lose focus around hour 1.5 in the proceedings, but I will watch the pre-Oscar red carpet show with the kids. We hoot and holler at the tv (very healthy) and rate the dresses ourselves. It's more fun than the show. Great post, Maria! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't watch them much anymore. I stopped feeling like I was missing much in the past few years because of how much re-cap media we have to scan the next day. Missed the Oscars? Don't worry--they are available as on-demand replay via your cable or on the web, You Tube will have posts of the big moments, etc. When I was a kid, all you got was mention on a nightly news show and reading the paper the next day.

    But, the fashions are fun at the start, hate the red carpet interviews, skip to the end of the show for the big notes, like best picture. Of course, I always like to check out best original screenplay and best adapted screenplay!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the Oscars. Wouldn't miss. Watched from the time they first began telecasting. Remember, the idiot who streaked across the stage? For you youngsters who might not know what streaking is, at the time, idiots were streaking though public places with no clothes on. (I was out with my Camp Fire Girls in a mall once and had the "privilege" of seeing a streaker. Girl thought that was the funniest thing they'd ever seen.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just saw "Black Swan," and, oh, my, it was something. Natalie Portman certainly threw herself into that role. Did I say "my, oh, my" already? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember the streaker moment, too. Talk about your wardrobe malfunctions.

    David Niven was at the podium, I think to give not receive an Oscar, and the guy dashed across the stage behind him and Niven paused and then said something like "To think that poor devil will spend the rest of his live explaining his short-comings."

    A hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You definitely nailed all the good and bad! I too will have my popcorn and diet coke. I love watching to see the outfits and I love to think about what they did all day...we know they probably didn't eat so they wouldn't gain a pound:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the streaker moment! (and remember it too!)

    Vicky, The look on David Niven's face was priceless. So funny!

    Susan, I've heard Black Swan is really really dark, so I've put off watching this till it comes out on Netflix!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.