Friday, February 11, 2011

Lori's Reading Corner

by Lori Gondelman

I never had any intention of becoming a book blogger. I had no idea where to start, what it should cover, how it should look, or more importantly, if anyone would even care. At the time I started my blog I belonged to a book swapping site called http://www.paperbackswap.com/. Basically you post books that you no longer want, and when another member requests your book, you mail it off to them. Once they receive your book you earn a credit, with which you can then order a book that you want. Nice and simple, right? I soon had a new group of friends, fellow booklovers. It got to a point that my friends started calling me “the book pimp” because my book recommendations would cause their wish lists to grow out of control, and their piles of books would transform from small hills to massive mountains. Several of them started bugging me about doing a book blog. I put it off because I honestly felt like I had nothing worthwhile to say. And again, would anyone really care? I finally “caved,” and Lori’s Reading Corner was born, just about three years ago. It’s taken off in ways that I never dreamed possible.

My blog started off as a way for me to share my love of reading and my thoughts on books with others. I love seeing comments that say, “I bought this book on your recommendation, and I loved it. I’ll be back to see what else you’ve got for me.” It warms my heart to know that I’ve given someone else the same joy I got from reading a book, a book they might not otherwise have read if they hadn’t seen my review.

What has really surprised me though, are the amazing contacts I have made. I know there are thousands of bloggers out there, and that I’m just one tiny little fish in a big pond. Having said that, I’ve been fortunate enough to make some amazing contacts at Harper Collins, Random House, St. Martin’s, Penguin/Berkley, and several other publishing houses. Publishers, publicists, and authors who have “stumbled” on my blog and would like to send me advanced reader copies to review. Really? Little ‘ole me? Why? Most importantly, I’ve developed some terrific friendships with some fantastic authors. Authors that have been extremely supportive of my blog. They have offered encouragement and advice. Jessica Park has been an amazing, encouraging friend to me. Whenever I find reviews that I think make mine look like they were written by a two-year-old, she reminds me that everyone has their own writing style, and that as long as I stay true to myself, my reviews are just as good, if not better, than the others out there. Jessica has also helped me get started with some editing/proofing work. Not only did she ask me for my feedback and proofing help on her latest book, she’s also mentioned me to other author friends of hers, possibly opening even more doors for me. That she thinks that much of me and wants MY feedback means more to mean than I could ever put into words.

When I first started blogging, my goal wasn’t to meet authors, make amazing contacts, or get advanced reader copies of amazing books (although those have been unanticipated bonuses). It was simply to let others know what I thought about the books I was reading. To hopefully spread the word about some amazing books and some incredible authors. And I hope (and think) that’s exactly what I’ve done.

8 comments:

  1. Great blog Lori. I've discovered a lot of new-to-me authors while visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so fun to read the blogger's side of things! Congratulations on having your blurb used on a book. That is so exciting and very much deserved!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lori, nice post and nice site! I love book bloggers. They are the modern day way to get word of mouth out there for your books, which is so important:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, thanks for stopping by today! Love your site and thank you, from the bottom of my heart, for championing my series. You're also a fantastic dinner date/dance partner. :-) Come by anytime and let us know what's hot, ok? Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lori, thanks so much for visiting with us today and for sharing your great story! Yes, I'm with Maggie...you should drop by more often and share your latest book recs. I'm always open to adding more books to my teetering TBR piles! It encourages me to write faster and turn things in so I can have more reading time! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Lori, waving madly. I've been fortunate to be on your blog and can attest to the fact that it's a great one.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all so much. It was my pleasure to stop by here today and I would LOVE to come back again with some great recommendations for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,
    I just read your post and I think it is wonderful how accomplished you have become by simply blogging. I am new to blogging and recently started following the cozy chicks blog and now I am following the stilleto gang. Blogging as already started to become and addiction. I want to read everyone's post. What are they up to? What are they thinking? Giving me new ideas and insight on books, writing my own book. Thanks for the inspirational blog I just read and I look forward to reading more. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.