I Know I Need a Vacation When ….
- I have trouble remembering what day of the week it is.
- I can't even tolerate listening to the politicians with whom I agree. (To my Southern ears the phrase "with whom" grates, but I'll try to dumb down the rest of my list.)
- I'm fascinated by reality tv – in particular Ice Road Truckers and Billy the Exterminator. (See that dumbing down thing is easy.)
- Book promotion feels like pulling teeth. (Okay it always feels that way to me, but at the moment it feels like having my wisdom teeth removed again - the way it was done 30 years ago – strapped down in the dentist chair with your mouth jacked open with some kind of rubber bracing. Only the dentist and the people in the adjacent buildings could hear the screams.)
- I'll eat my Cheerios dry rather than make a trip to the grocery store.
- I resent having to explain "why" more than once. (Yes, I know. That's just me getting old and cranky – taking a vacation won't help.)
- I'm happy when I get one item on my "to-do" list done each day. Today I changed my central air conditioning filter. I had to use a flashlight to illuminate the operation since replacing the light bulb in the hallway would have just been too much effort. Maybe tomorrow.
- The highlight of the week is putting all my extra red pepper flake packets from Pizza Hut deliveries into a Tupperware container instead of stuffing them in a kitchen drawer to wander and breed with the Parmesan cheese and soy sauce packets.
- I seriously consider stocking up on disposable plates and cups so I never have to wash dishes again. (Along with this thought was a fleeting urge to toss all the dirty dishes in the trash and start over with new stuff. Lack of money and the fear my mother would find out held me back.)
- Even the Gulf Coast beaches with the floating tar balls and oily birds look like good places to park a lounge chair.
On a Serious Note: I've been to the Gulf Coast several times – New Orleans, Gulf Port, Biloxi, Ship Island, etc. It hurts to think about the damage the oil is causing to the environment and to the people who are losing a way of life. I hope the leaking oil well is plugged soon and we – the nation – find a way to prevent any similar environmental disasters in the future. I know we need the oil - but we have to protect our oceans and marshes too.
aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David