Monday, March 8, 2021

The Creative Process: Where Does it Start?

 

Years ago, when my son and my now daughter-in-law Melanie were dating, she stopped by my home office and asked if I’d like to see her drawings. I didn’t know her well at the time, and I thought this would be a wonderful ice breaker, so, I said, “Sure, I’d love to.” A little backstory, this young woman was studying to be an R.N. “During my breaks, “she explained, “I’ve been sketching the preemies in the nursery.”

I’d been prepared to pay her the requisite, “Good job.” What I wasn’t prepared for was to be blown away by her talent. In charcoal pencil, she’d captured the essence of these sleeping babies and the detail was incredible. I was both touched and a little ashamed that I’d underestimated her.

Turns out, I wasn’t the only one. Her mother did too! In kindergarten Melanie drew a picture of a dinosaur and took it home to show her family. “This is terrific,” her mother said. “Did you trace this?”


Melanie Jane Addison (Age 5)

“No, Mommy, I drew it.” 

And that very very smart mother replied, “Well, I guess we better enroll you in art lessons.”




Melanie Jane Addison Bell 

When I was young, I was a perpetual daydreamer and loved to write stories. Fortunately, I was encouraged by my parents and my teachers. Their generosity led me to pursue a lifelong dream of writing. 

I so appreciate parents, grandparents, teachers and others who acknowledge and nurture a child's passion. The Creative Process: You just never know where it may lead. 



17 comments:

  1. I wish my parents had nurtured my early writing efforts. Instead, my mom mostly worried that her young daughter with her imaginary friends was going to end up in the psych ward! :-D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you mention imaginary friends, Annette. That's what my post here tomorrow is all about!

      Delete
  2. Better late than never, Annette, good thing your imaginary friends were there to support you ;) xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely post, and Melanie's artwork of the dog is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara. She amazes me. I have an entire wall of her artwork. Of course, I'm a fan!

      Delete
  4. It's so important to nurture young talent. That dinosaur drawing is an amazing accomplishment for a five-year-old.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gay, I so agree, and I agree she showed huge potential even then!

      Delete
  5. Donnell, how luck both Melanie and you were to have parents that nurtured your talents!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without a doubt, Lois! You're one of the most creative and talented women I know, but the way. At what age did you recognize you had such a gift?

      Delete
  6. Wow a beautiful sketch. Thanks for sharing it. I remember when I told my husband I'd decided to write a book. He didn't say much, in fact, he changed the subject. I was offended, but waited in the next day to comment. I said, "So, you don't think I can write that book?" He smiled and said, "Of course you can. I never doubt anything you put your mind to doing."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathleen, I'm so glad your husband redeemed himself. I think non-writers don't get the commitment that writing a book takes. Thank you for commenting on Melanie's sketch. An impressive young woman.

      Delete
  7. Melanie's art is amazing! Nurtured or not, creative talent will out. Thanks for this reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Saralyn, you're right of course. Nurture just gives a young person a head start! Thank you for the compliment on her work.

      Delete
  8. A great post, Donnell! So important to nurture creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A great post, Donnell. I love the art--it's wonderful. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Lynn. I appreciate you commenting!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.