Monday, September 10, 2012

New Year's Resolution

By Evelyn David


A few weeks ago I cooked a brisket, which I sliced and then froze. It was my opening salvo to get ready for the holidays which begin next Sunday evening with the celebration of Rosh Hashonah, the Jewish New Year. It's not exactly like December 31. No Waterford crystal ball drop, no Dick Clark (RIP) countdown to Midnight. But it does have that same sense of a fresh start.

But before I begin 5773, the year in the Jewish calendar, I like to look back over the previous 12 months, give thanks for my blessings, recognize the lessons learned, apologize to those I've offended, focus on areas of improvement, and set goals for the future.

It's that last one that has me thinking. Recently I wrote a blog about our summer vacation and titled it, "Always Better in the Retelling." It's how we all now laugh uproariously at the trials and tribulations of past family vacations. But I'd like to change that for the future. Not the laughing part or the shared family memories. But instead, my hope for the New Year, besides a most fervent one of good health for family and friends, is both complicated and simple.

I'd like to learn how to enjoy the moment when it's happening – and not just after it's finally over. Too often I allow my fears and insecurities to overwhelm me and preclude me from being fully immersed in what is happening. My mind is going a mile a minute, instead of slowing down to admire the passing scenery so to speak. Or sometimes I find myself so caught up in the minutia of preparing for the holiday or family celebration, that I'm too tired or too busy to enjoy it once it's here. Or at times I realize that I'm missing my loved ones who have died so much that I fail to savor those around me.

In short, I don't want to enjoy life by looking at and then enjoying the videotape (real or figurative) – but rather learn to focus and appreciate the "right now." I don't want to live so much in the past or project so far into the future that I miss the present. It's a journey for sure, but I begin it in 5773.

I wish for each and every one of you L'Shana Tova, which means "For a Good Year." May it be filled with health, happiness, family, friends, and joy.

Marian aka The Northern Half of Evelyn David

 
 
 
Sullivan Investigations Mystery
Murder Off the Books Kindle - Nook - Smashwords - Trade Paperback
Murder Takes the Cake Kindle - Trade Paperback (exclusive to Amazon for 90 days)
Riley Come Home (short story)- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Moonlighting at the Mall (short story) - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
 





Brianna Sullivan Mysteries - e-book series
I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Dog Days of Summer in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Holiday Spirit(s) of Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Undying Love in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
A Haunting in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Lottawatah Twister - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Missing in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Good Grief in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Summer Lightning in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

The Ghosts of Lottawatah - trade paperback collection of the Brianna e-books
Book 1 - I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries (includes the first four Brianna e-books)
Book 2 - A Haunting in Lottawatah (includes the 5th, 6th, and 7th Brianna e-books)

Romances
Love Lessons - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

5 comments:

  1. Wow! So well said Marian.

    I think we all could stand to slow down and enjoy the NOW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laura.

    Wishing you and yours a healthy, happy New Year.

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're so right, Marian! Rosh Hashanah has always been a time for my family to re-examine how we're living our lives and set better goals for living them in the new year. (My husband's Jewish.) At dinner with our extended family-of-choice to celebrate the holiday, we always go around the table to ask what we want to have more of in the coming year. This year, my answer, like yours, is awareness and appreciation of the current moment, to be a participant in life rather than a spectator. L'Shanah Tovah!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These holidays are called the Days of Awe, I believe and it is always my hope to be able to honor those who are gone, and relish my time with those who are here. To honor the difficulties of life and also see the beauty and joy that we have in our hands everyday. As I get older, there is more awe as the Universe gives us so much, even it is a little harder to move around. L'shanah tova, and enjoy your loved ones.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Linda and Lil. You gave me more to think about in the Days of Awe.

    L'Shana Tova

    Marian

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.