Thursday, September 27, 2012

Fall Lineup

by Maria Geraci

It is now officially Fall, and you know what that means. TV is back! Well, at least fresh TV, and it's about time because I was getting heartily sick of reruns. My DVR is programmed and ready to go with "my shows" as I affectionately call them. What are my shows? Well, I'm glad you asked.

I admit it. I'm a Dancing With The Stars freak. I love love love this show. From the corny jokes Tom Bergeron (the host) tells, to the sparkly costumes, fake spray tans, and even the awful dancing of some of the celebrities, I'm hooked.

This season the show is doing a first- the celebrites are "all stars" as in they've either won the show previously, or were close to winning, or were a fan favorite. Last Monday night was the premiere and it was absolutely fabulous. Lots of super great dancing (well, except from Pamela Anderson and Bristol Palin, but I digress...). The competition is going to be stiff with world class athletes like Emmit Smith, Apollo Anton Ono and Shawn Johnson. There's also fan favorites like Kirstie Alley and Joey Fatone and Drew Lachey and Gilles Marini (better known as the naked guy from Sex and the City) competing.

I'm going to go out on a limb here, though, and give an early prediction. I think Emmit Smith is going to take away another Mirror Ball Trophy. Remember you heard that hear first. And if I'm wrong, then just forget I ever said it ;)

Other shows I'm excited to reconnect with are Modern Family (Gloria is pregnant!), Revenge (did Victoria really die in the plane crash?!?), The Office (yes, I know it's the ninth and final season, but I still love it), Grimm (who doesn't love scary monsters?), The Good Wife (will they just make Michael J. Fox a permanent character, please?) and Survivor.

New shows I'm excited about? Elementary, starring Jonny Lee Miller as a modern day Sherlock Holmes living in New York City and Lucy Liu as Watson (premieres tonight!) and Call The Midwife, a BBC series about nurses in London in the 1950s (premieres Sunday. The previews look fabulous). The only bummer part about the Fall line up is that it doesn't include Downton Abbey, which doesn't air till January here in the States.

What TV shows are you most excited about?



12 comments:

  1. TV is something I gave up many years ago to have more time for writing and reading. To the point that when we all had to buy the boxes to allow our TVs to handle the HD or whatever, we didn't, but I must confess that my son got us hooked on Downton Abbey last Christmas from the DVDs, and we watched the last season on my laptop from the internet. I found Sherlock the same way and watched it the same way. We are really impatient for Downton to return.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I saw a little clip from Season 3 of Downton Abbey with Shirley McLaine and Maggie Smith. So fun! I can hardly wait for January!

      Delete
  2. Many from my circle have switched from a cable or satellite television package to ROKU or something like Netflix/Hulu. They say it saves money and is very convenient and easy . . .

    We do not like reality shows (except, as I know others like Maggie will agree, FOOTBALL!), but we laugh because we have relatives and friends who call us during "hot" or "important" voting nights for DWTS to ask us to make calls for them since they know we aren't going to be voting otherwise! Some nights we have to take a mini-vote to see which sub-electorate of our friends and family we should be making calls for! And, sometimes we just ignore that whole thing.

    Love "Modern Family", thought they did a good job with last night's premiere, BUT, I have concerns about how they may, emphasis on "may", be glamorizing and glossing over the realities of a 65-year-old sperm pairs up with a 40-something-ish egg for baby-making, and after that how two AARP members raise a baby. Plus, I think they sort of copped out on the whole coincidence of Cam and Mitch's adoption falling through at precisely the same emotional moment.

    It's a big tent we all live under and lots of things are possible in reality and in fiction, but still . . . is this really the best storyline to go with? On the upside, at least it's fresh and a bit different and, well, why not show us the best case scenario, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have to admit to giggling during the elephant/gorilla moments ;)

      Delete
  3. I'm a tv addict, I admit it. I'm still in the middle of fawning over Major Crimes on TNT. It has 3 new episodes left of its first season run. Today a second season was ordered! Yea.

    I'm happy to see Parenthood back and looking forward to new episodes of The Good Wife and NCIS. I also want to try The Last Resort. It starts tonight. I'd like to watch that Midwife show too - have to figure out when that starts airing. I'm a Downton Abbey fan too! But we've got months to wait on that one.

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda, Call The Midwife premieres this Sunday (Sept 30). My DVR is already programmed :)

      Delete
  4. I love DWTS and so does hubby, one of the few shows he'll watch with me. I hope Kelly stays on for awhile, se love her as Sam on General Hospital. (yep, that's the other show hubby watches with me, it's kind of our rest time.) Survivor is a favorite too but have to watch it on the Internet as Wednesday night is my critique group meeting.
    Most of the rest we watch the season after it comes out on DVD like Castle and the Good Wife. I thought I'd like all the fairy tale based shows, but they didn't grab me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think one of the reasons I love DWTS so much is that I always end the night with a big grin on my face. It just makes me happy :)

      Delete
  5. I admit that I'm a huge "Real Housewives" fan. Any franchise, any city. I know. Embarrassing. Also love "Survivor" and "Modern Family." Maggie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maggie, my husband is actually a Real Housewives fan ;) Go figure.

      Delete
  6. That's what I call them, too. "My shows." But now that I'm a writer I have a love/hate relationship with them. I love them and look forward to them every fall, but I hate them because they're such time sucks. My favorites are "Fringe," "Project Runway," "The Voice," "The Good Wife," "Boardwalk Empire," and I'm looking forward to the new show "Nashville."

    ReplyDelete
  7. DWTS is so much fun. I'm not sure if the most talented person wins, but I love watching the men dance. That show has had some seriously hot men gracing the stage! Of course, this makes me partial to Gilles ...

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.