Monday, August 8, 2011

My Kindle - August 2011

It's hot! In Oklahoma, this summer has been super hot. Temperature records have been broken and the unrelenting heat and drought continues. At 115 F outdoor activity is limited. We've had about a month of plus 100F days in a row - perfect time for reading inside under the air conditioner. Would that my air conditioner were working effectively (sigh), but that's a story for another day.

This past month I read:

Never Knowing by Chevy Stevens

Never Knowing is the second book written by this author that I've read. The first, Still Missing, was about the kidnapping of a real estate agent, her ordeal, and the aftermath. The story was told from the point of view of the agent as she relayed the details to her psychiatrist. I couldn't put it down. In Never Knowing, the author again uses the psychiatrist to relate the story of a woman who searches for her birth mother. She finds answers and a serial killer. The first book I considered a mystery, this one was more of a thriller. I recommend both but with a caution for readers who don't care for graphic violence.

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay is told from two points of view - Julia, the modern day journalist living with her family in Paris and Sarah, an eleven-year-old Jewish girl living in Paris during the occupation of France during 1942. I couldn't put this book down even though the themes are extraordinarily dark. The writer gives the reader no reason to suppose that either of the two main characters will live happily ever after, but that doesn't prevent the reader from hoping. When Sarah's voice goes silent, the reader is forced to finish the book via Julia's research. I searched for this book after recently seeing a trailer for a movie of the same name. If you like contemporary mysteries mixed with historical events, you'll find this book one of the best. I knew very little about what was happening in France during the Holocaust. This book described one horrific event that should not be forgotten.

I'm currently reading:

The Girl Who Disappeared Twice by Andrea Kane

The Silent Girl by Tess Gerritsen

What are you reading this month? If you're an author and have a new book out in August or September, post your pitch in the comment section! The weather guys are predicting another month of this heatwave and I have room on my Kindle for many more books!

Rhonda
aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

Brianna Sullivan Mysteries - e-book series
I Try Not to Drive Past Cemeteries- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Dog Days of Summer in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
The Holiday Spirit(s) of Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
Undying Love in Lottawatah- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

A Haunting in Lottawatah - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords
***New - Lottawatah Twister - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

The Sullivan Investigation Series
Murder Drops the Ball (Spring 2011)
Murder Takes the Cake- Paperback - Kindle
Murder Off the Books- Paperback - Kindle
Riley Come Home (short story)- Kindle - Nook - Smashwords


Romances
Love Lessons - Kindle - Nook - Smashwords

12 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I read STILL MISSING and loved it, even though it was far creepier than anything I would ever read. I want to read her second book, too. I've been reading a lot of cozies lately while doing some writing of my own. Thanks for your recommendations! Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good post. I go back and forth between "real" books and my Kindle. Since people keep sending me the real kind to review, I have to get through them, but have some dandy ones waiting on my Kindle.

    My next Deputy Tempe Crabtree mystery Bears With Us will be out sometime this month. I'll be in trade paperback first.

    Marilyn

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought Still Missing was a powerful book, and I also liked Stevens's second novel, Never Knowing, which has a fascinating premise: adopted daughter finds real father as an adult, discovers he's a rapist/killer who was never caught -- and he wants to be part of her life.

    My next book, Under the Dog Star (4th in the Rachel Goddard series), comes out in September. Rachel races to save a pack of feral dogs that have been blamed for the mauling death of a prominent doctor, and she runs afoul of an illegal dogfighting ring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm currently reading The Girl in the Plain Brown Wrapper by John D. MacDonald. I'd forgotten just how much I like him. I'm also reading Undying Love in Lottawatah by Evelyn David (Kindle) and The Fleece and Fiber Sourcebook.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm currently reading an ARC of A Crack in Everything by Angela Gerst but my Kindle is full of TBR titles,including Susanne Adair's Paper Woman, Susan Wittig Albert's Mourning Gloria. Just read and enjoyed Julie Hyzy's Grace Interrupted.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks to all for stopping by! I'm getting some wonderful hints for books to add to my Kindle. Mare, thanks so much for adding Undying Love in Lottawatah to your reading list! My coauthor and I hope you enjoy it.

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good post! Can't wait to read the Chevy Stevens books.

    I just finished Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter by Tom Franklin--great mystery, with beautiful language. Then read I'D KNOW YOU ANYWHERE, by Laura Lippman. As always, Lippman is completely absorbing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I have two books releasing in August. Kindle on both now available, ebook and paperback by the end of the month.

    Vanishing Act in Vegas - Morgan St. James and Phyllice Bradner - Third comical crime caper in the Silver Sisters Mysteries series.

    Writers' Tricks of the Trade: 39 Things You Need to Know About the ABCs of Writing Fiction. Morgan St. James. Easy-to-read prose laced with humor fills this tips, tricks and techniques book.

    I'm taking questions on Mentor Monday today.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just finished Pleating For Mercy by Melissa Bourbon and now I'm readidng Mall Cop by Laura DiSilverio and both are entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love hearing what you are reading.

    "The Nightmare" by Nancy Means Wright and "The Square Root of Murder" by Ada Madison just arrived at my house so I'll be reading them very soon. And then I stopped in at my favorite used bookstore just to chat and left with a stack that includes Mary Roberts Rinehart's "The White Cat" and a book of cat poems. All in all, a really good week.

    --Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats Marilyn on your new book! Love the title - Bears With Us.

    Rhonda
    aka The Southern Half of Evelyn David

    ReplyDelete
  12. My book DEADLY REUNION is being released this month. It features a class reunion set aboard a cruise ship in Alaska -- so the setting is guaranteed to make you think "cool"!

    RELATIVE DANGER and KILLER COUSINS, first books in my series, are now available on Kindle and at Smashwords. I hope you'll give them a try!

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.