Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Thanksgiving is Just over and Now Everyone's Talking Christmas

This year is flying by way too fast.

For the Thanksgiving holiday we went over the hill (Interstate 5 which connects the Central Valley where we live to Southern California) and through the orange groves (Fillmore, Santa Paula, Oxnard) to Camarillo and my youngest daughter's home. We went on Thanksgiving morning as she was having dinner at 5 p.m. to accomodate my eldest daughter and hubby and a granddaughter and her family who were coming in from San Francisco on their way home. A lot of people were traveling the same way we were.

We stopped for lunch at one of our favorite Mexican restaurants in Fillmore, El Pescador, which was only going to be open until 2 p.m. so all the employees could celebrate Thanksgiving.

After our arrival at daughter's home we got to spend some time with grandson who was visiting from Aspen where he's a police officer and his girlfriend and we also met our youngest granddaughter's boyfriend. Before dinner people began pouring over the ad papers deciding which Christmas sale they wanted to hit.

Dinner was scrumptious and most of us played Estimation afterwards. At midnight, two of our group headed off to the Outlet Mall. (I was in bed by this time--but ever so often I'd hear the garage door open and close because people had different time and store destinations.)

At 8:30 a.m. I went along with a group to another mall to see what we could find in the way of bargains. I did find a present for one of my granddaughters.

We came back to daughter's to eat leftovers--yum. Spent one more night, then headed home along with thousands of others.

Everyone I know has been sending me emails or posting on Facebook that they've already put up all their Christmas decorations. Not me. I wish I could wiggle my nose and have it happen. I find that every year I put up less and less knowing that whatever I put out will have to be put away.

I love Christmas and all it stands for--but the older I get the harder it is to do all the things connected with the celebration. I just wish it didn't start before Thanksgiving is even over with.

I must confess I have done some Christmas shopping--but now I have to wrap the gifts.

Sounds like I'm complaining and I guess I am. Back in the olden days (my olden days) I always had big kids around to help me wrap. All those kids have grown up and are now doing their own wrapping.

In any case, you might as well tell me what you've done toward Christmas and whatever holiday you may be celebrating.

Marilyn

4 comments:

  1. I made Santas with my mom (which I wrote about here) and LOVED. My husband and I also crazily got up on Black Friday and it was actually really fun to spend that time together being exhausted =)

    The GLEE Christmas CD is doing the trick, too.

    Hope you catch the holiday spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having a little trouble finding my decorating energy myself this year. Must be getting old. I got the wreathes, roping, and lights up out front but all the inside decorations have only made it out of the crawl space and onto the floor. Got some online shopping done, no malls yet, and nothing wrapped. Hopefully our Christmas energy will kick in soon - for both of us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marilyn, I am woefully behind on everything, as I seem to be every year. This year, I'll blame my deadline and a sick kitty...and now revision notes that mean I need to get back to work again fast! Denise Swanson emailed a bit ago to say they were doing "Christmas Lite" decorations at her house, and I think that'll be us, too! I hope we even get a tree up. Life has just been so busy lately, and I'm thinking of gift cards and donations instead of wrapped gifts this year. It'll just be fun to be with Ed and our families. And I have a feeling you'll also have the merriest of Christmases, no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, we drove over the San Bernardino mountains to Disneyland for Thanksgiving and it really became the Christmas weekend kickoff. We actually enjoyed it cuz we got 2 holidays on one trip. Plus a bit of nostalgia since I grew up there (and visited relatives in the Central Valley) so I feel like we're practically family. :) Then, when we got home, we put up our decorations and are loving them. We tend to start early and take them down early, too.

    ReplyDelete

This is a comment awaiting moderation on the blog.